what is the best way to learn photoshop?

Discussion in 'Photoshop Challenges' started by Mashburn, Jan 29, 2015.

1. dennybeall

dennybeall No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If you're the kind of person that can learn well from books then Scott Kelby's newest Photoshop book is quite good.

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The best way to learn Photoshop is to use it regularly.

I've been using Photoshop pretty much daily for about 14 years now and I'm still learning how to use it.
    People come up with ways to use Photoshop that Photoshop's designers never considered being possible.

I find YouTube to disjointed and disorganized to be used as an effective ongoing resource for learning Photoshop in a logical manner.

Part of the reason I'm still lraning how to use Ps is they keep improving Ps and adding capabilities and features.
    I rely on my KelbyOne.com membership, Adobe TV, Scott Kelby books (basically a limited selection of grouped tutorials) and my primary go to source Martin Evening:
    Adobe Photoshop CC for Photographers, 2014 Release: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mashburn

Mashburn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks. I'll give that shot before I "buy" something else.

I would go that route but two problems. one I do not want to wait to sign up to start learning. and two, I don't want to spend money like that and have to drive back and forth and waste gas. thanks though.

ah Blah I hate reading. but I think it would be something I would want to get into "after" I learned the basics.

I agree about youtube. people are scrambled and some teach very very different things that could take some just a few clicks to do.

Also I would love to do the CC 2014........... but I purchased CS6 last year. I had "money" and purchased the package with lightroom. So I would hate to start purchasing monthly for CC 2014, I would feel I made a horrible choice and never gave it a chance.

4. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think you will get much more out of videos if you already have some knowledge of how to use certain tools.
    The strength of PS over LR is using selections and layers to edit various parts of the image.

I learned a great deal from one specific book that gave me a good basic knowledge and running start at everything else. Photoshop Masking Compositing Katrin Eismann.
    (I liked the first edition (~2005) much better - if you can find it used on Alibris or Abebooks)

5. Buckster

Buckster Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My favorite PS guru on Lynda for years has been Deke McClelland. His Photoshop One-On-One classes on Lynda changed my Photoshop knowledge and editing life many years ago.

One of my least favorite is Chris Orwig. To me, his teaching style, speech patterns and so on remind me of someone who's teaching kindergarteners how to finger paint. But that's just me. I know a lot of people really like him.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JacaRanda

JacaRanda Hobbyist Birdographer

Photos OK to edit

LOL, you are right about that part of Chris. "this is a photo of my daughters little friend, she is so cute......" :)

I like Deke also.
    Training tutorials online classes by expert Deke McClelland

• Like Like x 1