What is the earliest knowledge you have of your family name?

Stehay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just for fun

I know my grandfathers were doctors in world war two

Around the 1500s I think. We have a distant cousin in Germany who did a family chart for us that was done using records going back that far from the church in the town there. The name spelling changed somewhere along the way, although not as recently as someone coming here to the United States.

17895ish. In that year, in the village my ancestors came from, there two lads with the same name. One went to Australia and the other (my ancestor) went to London. As we do not know which lad was which, we cannot trace our family any further back.

Do you mean actual connection to the name ... or just earliest record of the surname possibly unrelated ?

... and for someone who does not seem a participant in the forum ... why do you ask ?

Since I retired that is something I have been working on. Back to 1603 right now. Waiting on some information that may take me back two more generations. It is amazing how well the records were kept across the pond and how far back they go.

Do you mean actual connection to the name ... or just earliest record of the surname possibly unrelated ?

... and for someone who does not seem a participant in the forum ... why do you ask ?
If by participant, you mean one who participates by offering ideas, opinions or starting topics of discussion, it would appear that the OP is participating right now...in this thread.
You don't seem very neighborly or welcoming.
Your comment reminds me of the Sheriff that walks up to you after he pulls you over for no reason and says; "Yo not from around here, are ya? We don't take to strangers in our town, best be moving along so as no one gets hurt none. Yo have a nice day now, y'hear?"

17895ish. In that year, in the village my ancestors came from, there two lads with the same name. One went to Australia and the other (my ancestor) went to London. As we do not know which lad was which, we cannot trace our family any further back.
17985??? That's 15,969 years off in the future isn't it? :") I am definitely intrigued, please tell us more.

My surname was adopted by my paternal grandfather in 1947. No one knows anything about the name before the man who raised my grandfather.

My paternal grandfathers' birth name (which is also my middle name) has been traced back to Scotland to 1646. I have the family tree traced back to the 6th & 7th centuries with, at the moment, 6,913 names. Three branches end with pedigree collapse.

Last edited:
My surname was adopted by my paternal grandfather in 1947. No one knows anything about the name before the man who raised my grandfather.

My paternal grandfathers' birth name (which is also my middle name) has been traced back to Scotland to 1646. I have the family tree traced back to the 6th & 7th centuries with, at the moment, 6,913 names. Three branches end with pedigree collapse.
Is that the 480's or the Sparky's?

If by participant, you mean one who participates by offering ideas, opinions or starting topics of discussion, it would appear that the OP is participating right now...in this thread.
Your comment reminds me of the Sheriff that walks up to you after he pulls you over for no reason and says; "Yo not from around here, are ya? We don't take to strangers in our town, best be moving along so as no one gets hurt none. Yo have a nice day now, y'hear?"

I noticed the OP has 3 posts ... they start with a question, but does not continue the conversation which I do not find very neighbourly ... and yeah, for some reason it annoyed me ... and in my history on this forum, I am not one to make comments like this.

Is that the 480's or the Sparky's?

Beveridge, actually.
Very interesting Name, I have never heard it before. So, if you are a tall man, in the winter outside, you'd actually be a tall frosty...never mind, I won't finish it, I am sure you've heard it before.
:)

17985??? That's 15,969 years off in the future isn't it? :") I am definitely intrigued, please tell us more.
Too many damn keys on this keyboard!

The OP has been a member for over a year & has posted 2 threads unrelated to photography & AFAIK nothing related. So the comment is not unjustified...

Most reactions

Back