what is the ideal amount of off camera flashes for an indoor phtoshoot?

Foxtrot_01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

If I am using off camera flashes what is the ideal amount of flashes for an indoor photoshoot (glamour photography)?

Ideal amount? :scratch:
As many as you need to create the light & photo that you want. ;)

I've seen 'behind the scenes' photos from a Playboy shoot were they had something like 15 lights on a scene with a single model. However, most photographers that I've talked to, prefer to use as few lights as possible.

There is no wrong or right way to do it, this is 'Art' after all.

For a simple portrait shoot, I might light to have three or four light sources. One as the main, one as the fill, one as a hair/accent light and one as a background light.
You could use a reflector for fill, and even hair/accent if need be.

If you haven't yet, read through some of the very many insightful posts on The Strobist blog. Strobist

You might also want to check out Zach Arias and his 'One Light' stuff. It think it shows many ways to get creative with only one light.

You might also want to read one of Joe McNally's books, or at least his blog. He has done a lot of great work with off-camera hot-shoe flashes.

As many as it takes for the shot...which is a number between one and six most of the time. Like Big Mike pointed out, some glamour photogs like Playboy's longtime contributor Arney Freitag would use 10,15,or even 20 lights (mostly continuous light sources too, and not flash units). If you look at a main light, a fill light, a hair light, two background lights, and possibly a separation light, that is six lights. Six lights is really quite common on many people set-ups.
Another question you might want to consider is, "What *kind* of light modifiers are useful?" With the answer being umbrella, soft box, parabolic reflector, diffusion panels, reflectors, grids, snoots, gels, and so on.

Can the Vivitar 285Hv be used for Canon, is it brand specific like purchasing a Nissin Di622 for Canon or Nikon? what I mean is that I came across a Vivitar 285Hv but I dont know if I can use it with my canon, I guess if I use radio triggers it wouldnt matter right?

Don Giannatti from www.lighting-essentials.com should a group of us photogs this easy standard setup that works amazingly well for most glamour type shoots. It's four light with two umbrellas and a beauty dish of some sort.

Setup:
One bare flash behind the model to provide a back light, and in this case, highlight the hardwood
Two flashes with shoot through umbrellas at 45 degrees behind the model on both sides
one strobe with a beauty dish above and infront of the model

Final shot:
Only difference in the lighting setup was the 1/2 CTO gel on the back flash to warm the reflection in the floor a bit.

You can actual skip the flash behind the subject depending on the environment you're shooting in as the two flashes on the back side provide great rim lighting on their own.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back