What is the professional focal range for pictures generally?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Treymac, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Treymac

Treymac TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey guys. I've always liked shooting at around 18mm because I like to get lots of things in. But my question is, professionally, should I not shoot at such a low range? Is it more professional to shoot things at around 50mm?

I suppose that I do shoot at 50mm sometimes, but that's almost always only in doors. Outside shots I like 18mm, although if I need to zoom I'll go higher.

2. Jon0807

Jon0807 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think there is no "proffessional range" because there are so many different styles of photography and every situation will be different. Sometimes you may need to zoom in and sometimes you may need to shoot wide. What counts is the end result which includes composition, technique, style and a personality. Focal range is just part of what it takes to accomplish these things. I doubt any professional will tell you they only shoot with a single focal range unless they specialize in one particular style such as macro

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is no 'professional' focal length. Shoot at what you want to or like.

There are other factors though. For example, I wouldn't call your lenses (18-55 & 75-300) 'professional' quality. The 18-55mm for example, probably isn't at it's best at 18mm and especially not at it's widest aperture (F3.5-5.6).

If you want to have more 'professional' looking images...you might want to consider a more professional lens. The 17-55mm F2.8 IS, lens for example, is the same range as your 18-55 lens...but it costs about 10 times more. ($1,000).

Really, it isn't the equipment you use or the focal length that you use...that makes you professional.

4. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    8mm to 1200mm and everywhere in between.