What is this BS all about? NO BASEBALL FANS ALLOWED

Chase said:
On a local morning radio show earlier this week, they were talking sports and the one guy hates baseball with a passion (and just happens to be a hockey fan).

So, he played an audio clip from a baseball game (don't ask me which one, I can't remember) where the two announcers were talking back and forth about some ruling regarding a pitching change. This conversation literally lasted over 2 minutes. Then, right at the end, they started talking about the game again, BUT, it turns out the game was being played during this entire conversation between the announcers! During that whole stretch, nothing notable enough happened to catch the announcers attention! If the game is on, shouldn't it be interesting enough to catch your attention during a 2 minute period??? The tones of their voices actually made me believe they were as bored with the game as I would have been :roll:

Yup, I look at baseball and racing the same way. I'll catch the highlights on sportscenter, because 4 1/2 hrs of intense boredom are punctuated with about 12 seconds of stuff actually worth seeing.

So, he played an audio clip from a baseball game (don't ask me which one, I can't remember) where the two announcers were talking back and forth about some ruling regarding a pitching change.

Which game was it?? Yeah, that's right, I'm asking! :twisted:

Seriously, if you can't back up your post with some solid facts, it means little.

*settles back to see if Chaseypants presses the Hot button on me*

terri said:
So, he played an audio clip from a baseball game (don't ask me which one, I can't remember) where the two announcers were talking back and forth about some ruling regarding a pitching change.

Which game was it?? Yeah, that's right, I'm asking! :twisted:

Seriously, if you can't back up your post with some solid facts, it means little.

*settles back to see if Chaseypants presses the Hot button on me*

You mean baseball actually plays different games?? I thought it was just one huge, nine-month-long, never ending game and the world series was when everybody else just got tired of playing. :lol:

You mean baseball actually plays different games?? I thought it was just one huge, nine-month-long, never ending game and the world series was when everybody else just got tired of playing.

Oh, no, sweetie! I think you've confused this with basketball. :D

Which game was it?

Hmm, if I could tell them apart, I would probably have remembered...but somehow they all seem exactly the same to me. It is all lost in a big cloud of boredom that is called major league baseball. 8)

Is it just me, or is it more exciting to watch little league?! :p

I love you, Chaseypants.... :hug: even when your argument falls apart, you're still so cute!

:lmao:

Well, that's because I'm cute, too!

You shoulda volleyed that one back already..... :goodvibe:

baseball is the best of all sports, because it is much like a cross between chess and the physical "turf war" concept of all other major sports. the argument can be made that other major sports involve the "chess" element, but nowhere is the strategy of the sport as dependant on the intellect of the person controlling the team plays- the general manager.

what i like most about baseball is the fact that i can follow it in my head so easily when listening on the radio. nothing like a good cold beer on the deck at twilight on a summer evening with the radio tuned to a Boston Redsox game...

there is as much scoring as in hockey, many times lots more scoring. in fact, there is more scoring in baseball than in any other sport except basketball (hey, how bout them connecticut huskies, eh?)

you can make the argument that there is not as much activity between scoring occurances, but in fact there is just as much activity- its just mental instead of physical.

Toby's reply mirrors my thoughtful response to Chase's challenge up there..... I just tossed off the smart-assed response since I know how he enjoys them.

Golf, too, is a very *mental* game, but I find it impossible to watch. If you appreciate the stats of your pitcher, know he's up against a formidable batter, there's a man on first and 2 outs in the 8th and your up by a slender 1 run lead....it really IS edge of your seat entertainment. I appreciate Chase's story of the drawn out rambling of the announcers when waiting out a pitching change (hardly integral to the game itself, I might add), but if you're waiting to return to the identical circumstances, it's STILL edge of your seat entertainment.

If you are idly flipping through channels and you're not keeping up with the stats of your team, you're right, it won't come across as anything more than a bunch of idiots standing around waiting for a line drive. NOT the point of the game!

Hey didn't we say no baseball in this thread?!

Oh, sorry.....I was babbling while you were shutting out fans of the better sport.

Carry on! :p

.... the pitcher goes into his windup... runner at first taking a big lead... will they put the hit and run on and be aggressive or will they ask their #4 hitter to bunt...

hhhheeeerrres the pitch and yes there goes the runner! the pitch is low and inside- Manny turns on it and got the good wood on it- there it goes.... way back.... way back..... gooooonnnne! two run homer for Manny Ramirez and the Sox have tied their old crosstown rivals, the Atlanta Braves!!!!

looks like its gonna be extra innnings, folks, unless Atlanta can put more on the board in the bottom of the inning....

Osmer_Toby said:
you can make the argument that there is not as much activity between scoring occurances, but in fact there is just as much activity- its just mental instead of physical.

hmm I would have to disagree, the mental side of hockey is in hockey you have 5 guys doing something simultaneously and reacting within a matter of seconds, and the goalie has to process the play and react even faster then the individual players. for baseball it seems (correct me if I'm wrong) yeah you have all those positions out there "waiting" for the next move but it all relies on the guy hitting the ball...he hits it...guy on base goes to run..oh wait its a strike, or ball, or whatever...then the play starts again...BOOOORRRRRRRIIIIIIING...Hockey nobody waits everything happens all at one time...and ITS ON ICE...a 200+lbs guy on ICE how cool is that...now you put those baseball players on ice then you would have a fun game ;)

just my two cents...

Hmmmm... let me see.... isn't hockey the sport where every team except the 4 absolutely lamest ones make the playoffs? You know, the sport where they play the season just to determine the home ice advantage for the 6 month long playoffs?

And they oughta call it Thugs on Skates.

Just funnin' guys! :lmao:

And quit picking on baseball. What else are you gonna watch on Saturday when you want to take a nap? Golf? :puke-rig:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back