What is this BS all about? NO BASEBALL FANS ALLOWED

But the mental part of baseball that is really found in no other sport is pitcher vs. batter. A good pitcher and/or his catcher will know that this hitter, f'rinstance, ALWAYS swings on the first pitch, or doesn't cover the outside of the plate well, or can't lay off the curve just off the outside of the plate.
And a good hitter knows, that this pitcher always tips his slider by dropping his front shoulder, or never throws two fastballs in a row, etc.

It's all about which one can outthink the other. And when you add in guys on base, possbile steals, hit-and-run, run-and-hit, drag bunts, etc., then you see that baseball is the most mentally challenging sport.

The "mental side" of hockey as described is less actual thinking, and more reacting. There is a difference between making a conscious decision and having fast reflexes.

Not that I don't enjoy watching hockey. I love it! It's just getting harder to find a game on unless you're willing to fork over $100+ every season.

drlynn said:
The "mental side" of hockey as described is less actual thinking, and more reacting. There is a difference between making a conscious decision and having fast reflexes.

While there's a lot of reaction, there's also a lot of trying to outthink your opponent, especially from the goaltender's point of view. I'm a soccer goalkeeper, and there are a lot of parrallels. If I'm playing a team I know relatively well, I know who their top shooters are, I know where they like to shoot, I know if they're more likely to shoot or pass when they're on the left, the center, or the right, I know if they can head the ball, etc.

HOCKEY BLOWS, SOCCER BLOWS, RUGBY BLOWS, BASKETBALL BLOWS!!!!!!!!! They all blow except baseball!

Oh yeah and it was me that started talking baseball in your Cockey, i mean hockey forum!

In all fairness though, the convo about the pitching situation that Chase was talking about is sometimes true in baseball. Though i usually find baseball riveting, there are some announsers that should roll over and die, cuz they can't call a decent game to save their soul.

Usually these people are from the major networks like NBC, CBS, or FOX sports. These are the guys that get paid 120 grand a yr to call whatever sport may be on, be it baseball, basketball, football, hockey, or curling. These guys obviously know nothing about the game, but they got the job cuz they all sound like Marv Albert. They often get stats wrong, mis-prononce player names, mix up calls and generally make asses out of themselves trying to sound like they know something about whatever sport they are calling.

Also, (and i know Terri will hate me for this) but the Atlanta braves announcers on TBS are the most boring awful announcers i ever heard. They generally know the game, but they are the dryest most mono toned people i ever heard. Many times i have fallen asleep while watching a braves game.

The anouncers that i watch and love are the ones for the Chicago Cubbies on WGN. They aren't that good anymore, but when Harry Carry was around, they were the most entertaining thing on TV. To watch him at the beginning of the game, (before sucking back a 12 pack of Budweiser) was a joy. Then hearing him after the 7th inning when he was totally sloshed and slurring all his words was amazing! Often he would pass out during the game and Steve Stone would try and cover for him. It was real funny!
Though he was a lifelong Cub fan and a great guy, i only wished he lived long enough to see the Cubs win.

BTW........ Hockey BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is Havoc signing off, (soon to be deleted)

Shark said:
While there's a lot of reaction, there's also a lot of trying to outthink your opponent, especially from the goaltender's point of view. I'm a soccer goalkeeper, and there are a lot of parrallels. If I'm playing a team I know relatively well, I know who their top shooters are, I know where they like to shoot, I know if they're more likely to shoot or pass when they're on the left, the center, or the right, I know if they can head the ball, etc.

You rock, dude!! I used to play soccer (football in Europe) back in Romania, right wing defense, sometimes center. Not professional level, mind you, but still was fun. I used to watch games on TV, I saw Pele play, I saw Beckenbauer, I saw Bobby Charlton, Eusebio and many more famous players. There's nothing like a good game of soccer! I also like baseball and basketball, I root for the local teams (Diamondbacks and Suns) and you'll see me watch a mean game of hockey as well. But soccer still is the #1!

Yeah, Shark, I see your point, and I'm sure the most successful offensive players in both hockey and soccer study goalies as well, to learn who will bite on the shoulder fake, who can't cover the bottom left corner, etc.

I really wasn't trying to belittle hockey, tho reading my statement today, I can understand if someone thought that I was. I was just defending baseball.

I'd rather have someone beat my unconcious with a Louisville Slugger then have to sit through one ining of a baseball game.

Go Senators!

ottawa_senators.gif

Instead of reading all this crap about how bad baseball is I will simply state that it is the only sport to produce more then a few catch phrases. Thus it shows how much baseball is apart of your lives, even them damn canucks (j/k).

"Holy Cooowww"
The Shot heard around the world.
And to top it off, how do you score a date. By advancing the bases of course. I would continue this semi-list but there is no need. Turn on your copy of Ken Burns "Baseball" and enjoy you hockey people. :p

Hockey = :puke-rig: :puke-rig: :puke-rig: :puke-rig: :puke-rig: :puke-rig: :puke-rig: :puke-rig: :puke-rig: :puke-rig:

BASEBALL = :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Chase = :eek:ldman: :p

Terri = :whip:

I = 8) 8) 8)

Just my 2 cents LOL HEHEHE

Terri = :whip:

I'm sorry, but..... huh?? :scratch:

I've stayed out of this thread since Voo got all pissy about it.

I know Im REALLY late coming into this. But I played hockey for about 8 years. I played goalie 5 of those years. Goalie is the most exhausting position out on the ice.

In order to be a good goalie you have to be 100% focused at all times. Even if play is on the other side you have to be in the zone. When the puck is on your side, there is nothing else in the world, and in your mind, than where the puck is at all times. You have to know where all of your players are, where all the other teams players are. You have to know what they are going to do with the puck. You also have to know where your at in the crease with out seeing it. You have to know your angles. What your current angle is and be ready to cut the next angle down when they move. You are also always talking to your D. Letting them know if they are in the way. let them know if you want them to drop in front of the puck or get out of the way. In some of the leagues I played in, it was up to the goalie to call out the next lines.

When your man down your focus goes to 150%. it takes all the mind power you have to try and vision the puck in slow motion. For the 60 min of the game and every min in between you cant let your mind slip from all of this.

crazy stuff. I give every hockey goalie out there all the credit in the world. Especialy the pros. to play as many games as they do and to be in the shape they are in is crazy.

(oh yea, and id rather watch golf than baseball)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back