Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, I'm completly new to the world of SLR camera ownership. I just bought a Canon AE-1 Program off of ebay...it came with a filter attached that says '52mm softner' on the side. What exactly is this filter for? Is it a filter that I keep on at all times or one used for effect?

I'm still pretty new, but I believe that it is for bringing out blue tones in an image, mostly for bright noon sun combined with shadows of trees or other overhang.

core_17 said:
Ok, I'm completly new to the world of SLR camera ownership. I just bought a Canon AE-1 Program off of ebay...it came with a filter attached that says '52mm softner' on the side. What exactly is this filter for? Is it a filter that I keep on at all times or one used for effect?

Core, you need to take that filter off your lens when shooting normal photography. The only use you have for that is when you want to blur a little bit your subject, i.e. a portrait of a woman. Some call that a 'wrinkle reducer' because it blurs the wrinkles more or less.

Take some shots of a person's face with it and then without it (on same film) and then develop and compare results. You'll notice a pretty good difference.

:)

zpfriem said:
I'm still pretty new, but I believe that it is for bringing out blue tones in an image, mostly for bright noon sun combined with shadows of trees or other overhang.

ZP, that filter is a Haze filter. That'll take some blues out of the shaded areas. The softener is a 'wrinkle reducer' to some photographers. See my reply to the original post.

core_17 said:

One question, when you look through it, does it look slightly more pinkish or orangey? If it does (and you don't lose any sharpness) then it's a warming filter used to enhance the colors, make them warmer.

Thanks for the info!! No, I think you were right the first time...it doesn't have a pink or orange cast to it. I kinda thought from the beginning that it was just for softening the picture...hence the word 'softner' on the side! But as I said, I'm new at this and I just wanted to make sure! I'm sure as I learn more about my camera I will have more questions!! This forum is great! I have so many people that can give me feedback!

something to keep in mind:

using a 'softening' (diffusing) filter on camera causes the highlights to merge into your shadows.

using a diffuser on your enlarger lens during printing will cause the shadows to merge with the highlights.

season to taste.

diffused during printing:

DF1.jpg

motcon said:
using a diffuser on your enlarger lens during printing will cause the shadows to merge with the highlights.
I was just wondering if anyone ever used the technique of softening during the printing process. Thanks for sharing.

motcon said:
something to keep in mind:

using a 'softening' (diffusing) filter on camera causes the highlights to merge into your shadows.

season to taste.

Couldn't put it any better! Thanks motcon.

core_17 said:
Thanks for the info!! No, I think you were right the first time...it doesn't have a pink or orange cast to it. I kinda thought from the beginning that it was just for softening the picture...hence the word 'softner' on the side! But as I said, I'm new at this and I just wanted to make sure! I'm sure as I learn more about my camera I will have more questions!! This forum is great! I have so many people that can give me feedback!

Anytime, core. Post away and we'll try to answer your question

Most reactions

New Topics

Back