What is this pose?

sordnotsword

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
brgcruises.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I'm having trouble finding information on a particular pose I often see in photos online and in magazines ECT. Can anybody tell me what pose this is or how to describe it? Ill post a picture below.

<image removed>
Please do not post pictures to which you do not own rights. You may post a link.

Last edited by a moderator:
The easiest way to describe it to your model is show them them the photograph of what you want to achieve. What other information would you want?

Hi I'm having trouble finding information on a particular pose I often see in photos online and in magazines ECT. Can anybody tell me what pose this is or how to describe it? Ill post a picture below.

<image removed>
Please do not post pictures to which you do not own rights. You may post a link.

Post amendment

Apparently copying images from another site for the purpose of discussion is against this sites TOS so I while amend this the best I can. I am including a picture I created for another website. While its not a photo it serves the purpose of describing the original pose or at lest a similar one.
ssu_navy_admiral_ceasar_ludec__v1_2__by_brgcruises-d8vp044.jpg

Here's a link to the original image that was deleted by the moderators. (please note I am not attempting to take credit for it.)
James Marsters in Leather Pants

The easiest way to describe it to your model is show them them the photograph of what you want to achieve. What other information would you want?
That does make sense because I've noticed it is a pain to try to get somebody to pose a certain way. The only reason I wanted to know what it was called (if it even has a name) is so I could look it up so I could find different camera angles and stuff like that.

That does make sense because I've noticed it is a pain to try to get somebody to pose a certain way. The only reason I wanted to know what it was called (if it even has a name) is so I could look it up so I could find different camera angles and stuff like that.
The pose looks very uncomfortable to me. The model appears to be almost sitting on his haunches, but not quite. Holding his weight by leg muscles alone probably cannot be done for any length of time.

Almost kneeling, but without his knees touching the floor. Perhaps if you offered your model a short stool upon which to sit. Keep one leg bent under, and the other vertical.

The pose looks very uncomfortable to me. The model appears to be almost sitting on his haunches, but not quite. Holding his weight by leg muscles alone probably cannot be done for any length of time.

Almost kneeling, but without his knees touching the floor. Perhaps if you offered your model a short stool upon which to sit. Keep one leg bent under, and the other vertical.
Its not something I think somebody would do for more than a few seconds at a time. I've photographers do it to get a better shot in public (like a car show or something like that). I would describe it as something between a kneel, squat, or crouch but I don't know if that's actually what its called. I think a small stool would only work if you'd be able to remove it later in photoshop. I think it would look better if the model had a wall or something in the environment so they'd have some support without looking like they needed help.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qa63Ru8g3...dVvGU/s1600/The_Man_From_Nowhere_CMG_5645.jpg

I personally find that naming poses is pretty useless when you're working with different subjects on a regular basis. The best way to "describe" a pose is to do it yourself and have them mirror it, or having reference images with you at the shoot. In my experience, bringing reference images to a shoot will absolutely improve your model's posing and help you achieve the image you are looking for, and is worth the extra effort. Magazine tear sheets are great (I have a huge portfolio of them that I bring to shoots), or even making a pinterest board and having it accessible on your phone will help you. You can even bring a white foam core board from walmart and glue a few reference images to one side of it to create a portable mood/ reference board that also doubles as a soft white reflector.

Last edited:
I personally find that naming poses is pretty useless when you're working with different subjects on a regular basis. The best way to "describe" a pose is to do it yourself and have them mirror it, or having reference images with you at the shoot. In my experience, bringing reference images to a shoot will absolutely improve your model's posing and help you achieve the image you are looking for, and is worth the extra effort. Magazine tear sheets are great (I have a huge portfolio of them that I bring to shoots), or even making a pinterest board and having it accessible on your phone will help you. You can even bring a white foam core board from walmart and glue a few reference images to one side of it to create a portable mood board that also doubles as a soft white reflector.
I've never thought of that its a pretty good idea actually. Thank you for the reply

Crouching

There's issue with the image as it is not visible from my end :(

There's issue with the image as it is not visible from my end :(
The original image was removed

Here are the links I added in the amended reply to the original post

https://orig00.deviantart.net/96b8/...ceasar_ludec__v1_2__by_brgcruises-d8vp044.jpg

This is the original imaged post (below)

The pose seems bit awkward i the picture so I would say that the best way to show your model poses is through pictures which can give them idea for the same.

This is the original imaged post (below)

Now that I see the referenced photograph, I think the pose is called "hunkered down". At least that is what I know it as. Also; (var.) hunkering down, hunker, hunkered. Not a squat, not sitting on haunches, just hunkered.

Official name:
Superhero landed from a fall, then contemplates life

I thought it was the " trying to hide behind the furniture because the husband is home early " pose;)

Most reactions

Back