What is wrong with this bokeh photo?

Neil S.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I shot this along with the other flower shots I took with my 85mm 1.2.

Most of the shots turned out pretty well in my opinion, but something seems very wrong with this shot.

I did not edit this at all, it comes straight from the camera.

Is this CA or something?

IMG_9063.jpg

i don't see anything wrong with it except a soft focus

i don't see anything wrong with it except a soft focus

Thats the point lol.

Look at this one for comparison.

I didn't edit this one either.

IMG_8991.jpg

I don't remember the flower in the 1st one looking like that by the way.

What is a bokeh photo?

Bokeh refers to the character of out-of-focus areas. It is a characteristic of the lens.

The blur you see is most likley motion blur - either on the part of the flower moving in the wind or your hands - if your shutter speed is not fast enough or you are not using flash as the dominant lighting you will get this. What were your settings for these photos?

That one is also soft

Perhaps you are missing the point lol. I am trying to have a lot of the shot out of focus.

If you look very closely the center part of the flower it is very much in focus, thats exactly what I was trying to do.

If you don't care for this type of photo, thats cool. This wasn't a "mistake" is all I am saying.

The question I had is why the 1st one looks so "different" from the other pics I took. The difference I am talking about is how the color or something is strange in my opinion.

Is it overexposed? Is the white balance off? Is this CA?

I can't figure it out.

Schwetty....

Tell me whats wrong with this photo, you are the resident ps wizard.

Last edited:
It looks typical at 1.2

What's wrong? Digital. Next time, use film!

:lmao:

The blur you see is most likley motion blur - either on the part of the flower moving in the wind or your hands - if your shutter speed is not fast enough or you are not using flash as the dominant lighting you will get this. What were your settings for these photos?

Its not really possible that these have motion blur.

It wasnt very windy that day, and they were shot at 1/8000th and 1/4000th of a sec Iso-100.

I was mostly trying to test the DOF of the lens. I wont always be shooting wide open with it.

This lens has a razor thin DOF, the center of the flowers is in focus if you look closely.

I am not asking for C+C here really. I want to know what is different about #1 and #2 basically.

They look much different to me. #2 looking good, and #1 looking quite bad.

What is a bokeh photo?

Bokeh refers to the character of out-of-focus areas. It is a characteristic of the lens.

Maybe I worded the title wrong lol. I yield to your knowledge and wisdom PP. Thanks for the correction.

I just wanted to know whats wrong with the color or something on #1.

What is a bokeh photo?

Maybe I worded the title wrong lol. I yield to your knowledge and wisdom PP. Thanks for the correction.

I just wanted to know whats wrong with the color or something on #1.

Settings where both wide open (1.2), Iso-100, 1/400th and 1/800th sec.

It is possible that the focus is slightly off, even for the center of the flower, since the AF sucks bad on this lens.

I think its mostly that its just so thin of a DOF, so a lot of it looks out of focus.

Are they suppose to be the same flower?

Are they suppose to be the same flower?

No its not the same flower.

I just feel there is something strange about the 1st one.

Maybe its just me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back