What is wrong with this bokeh photo?

It's almost like it is plastic, or fake.

I dont remember the flower looking like that.

Here are 2 more I shot just now.

These are both f/5.6 for a DOF comparison.

As you can see much more of the flower is in focus this time, but there is also less background blur.

Its overcast and raining today so I know the lighting is not so good.

f/5.6
Iso-320
1/640th

IMG_9074.jpg

IMG_9075.jpg

Scrap it... Reshoot... Move on.

This thread is making my head spin!

You are totally missing the point.

I wanted to know what was wrong with the color, exposure, or white balance of the 1st pic. Or if it was due to CA or something.

It just looked strange to me, and I wanted to try and learn from it.

Somehow it turned into a focus and DOF discussion though.

Research all of those; color, exposure, white balance, CA, know what they are very well. Once you do that, then look at your shot and you'll be able to tell if any of that is wrong with it and can figure it out all on your own.

I wanted to know what was wrong with the color, exposure, or white balance of the 1st pic. Or if it was due to CA or something.
You answered your own question in the original post.

I did not edit this at all, it comes straight from the camera.

Are you shooting RAW? Did the sun go behind a cloud? Did the sun come out from behind a cloud? What are your settings? What conditions were you shooting in? Do you have a proper shooting technique? Do you properly hold your gear to stabilize it or do you come from P&S land and do the chicken wing thang? Did you cock your head to one side and fart? Very ambiguous questions often get bogus answers.

Best bet is to do side-by-side test shots throughout the extent of your lens and camera settings. You're likely to distill the raw data and provide a well thought out question for a known anomaly. Then genuine answers will follow.

Research all of those; color, exposure, white balance, CA, know what they are very well. Once you do that, then look at your shot and you'll be able to tell if any of that is wrong with it and can figure it out all on your own.

Thanks for that, it's always good to do more research I know.

I am guessing by this that you don't know either lol, along with everyone else that posted in this thread.

So either:

a) There is nothing wrong with the 1st photo, and it's just me thinking there is.

b) There is something wrong with it, but nobody can figure out what that is.

As JasonLambert said "this is making my head spin". I would have to agree with this, because I don't know what the hell is going on at this point lol.

Thanks to you guys that tried to help, I appreciate it. :thumbup:

You answered your own question in the original post.

I did not edit this at all, it comes straight from the camera.

Are you shooting RAW? Did the sun go behind a cloud? Did the sun come out from behind a cloud? What are your settings? What conditions were you shooting in? Do you have a proper shooting technique? Do you properly hold your gear to stabilize it or do you come from P&S land and do the chicken wing thang? Did you cock your head to one side and fart? Very ambiguous questions often get bogus answers.

Best bet is to do side-by-side test shots throughout the extent of your lens and camera settings. You're likely to distill the raw data and provide a well thought out question for a known anomaly. Then genuine answers will follow.

Quite a few of your questions here could be answered by reading the whole thread.

People don't usually write a book about everything related to the shot.

I did give settings.

I am guessing by this that you don't know either lol, along with everyone else that posted in this thread.

So either:

a) There is nothing wrong with the 1st photo, and it's just me thinking there is.

As JasonLambert said "this is making my head spin". I would have to agree with this, because I don't know what the hell is going on at this point lol.

You have the ability to go out and compare the shot with the flower, we don't. If you can't do that then move on, to me it looks like a flower.

Quite a few of your questions here could be answered by reading the whole thread.
Fail. Most of your posts here are garbage to answer your original question. But hey.... it's your thread.

You're asking technical questions. There are many variables to be addressed and questioned. People will ask YOU questions to help eliminate those variables. It's a process.

I did give settings.
NOT TO THE IMAGE IN QUESTION.... #1.

So you want to be a smartass as well. Let's see how far that gets you. Good luck.

So either:

You have the ability to go out and compare the shot with the flower, we don't. If you can't do that then move on, to me it looks like a flower.

So basically your telling me to "just do better". Got it. :thumbup:

I appreciate it when people help, but your not really telling me anything useful here.

I don't know what I did wrong, that's why I was asking.

The original pic was taken days ago, with much different weather and lighting. I can't jump in my time machine and go do it over.

The 85 1.2 is prone to CA in certian situations. I just can't tell if thats what was wrong with the shot.

I just played with the RAW in LR3 just now, and couldn't make it look good.

I am going to just assume its got some kind of CA going on, and just leave it at that.

No idea what a bokeh photo is but I'm quite sure that no one outside forums would care.

Bokeh is a forum obsession and nothing more. Go shoot some interesting photos and don't worry about bokeh.

Fail. Most of your posts here are garbage to answer your original question. But hey.... it's your thread.

You're asking technical questions. There are many variables to be addressed and questioned. People will ask YOU questions to help eliminate those variables. It's a process.

I did give settings.
NOT TO THE IMAGE IN QUESTION.... #1.

So you want to be a smartass as well. Let's see how far that gets you. Good luck.

Mostly everything you said here so far is useless rambling.

You come in here saying things like "do you come from P&S land and do the chicken wing thang?" and "did you cock your head to one side and fart?".

These are by far the most useless attempts at advice I have seen so far in these forums. But yet you are insulting me, acting like I am the idiot that knows nothing.

You are talking big, but you can't even give any useful advice.

To say "I can't help because I wasnt there" is so flawed it isnt even funny. Nobody doing C&C on other peoples photos "was there", but yet every day tons of useful advice is given here.

I am guessing that quite a few people here actually could help me, because they have the knowledge to do so.

If you are just going to talk trash, stay out of my threads please.

No idea what a bokeh photo is but I'm quite sure that no one outside forums would care.

Bokeh is a forum obsession and nothing more. Go shoot some interesting photos and don't worry about bokeh.

Thanks for the input. :thumbup:

PP already set me straight on this same exact thing in an above post.

Most reactions

Back