What is wrong with this bokeh photo?

Its clear that you either just don't like me or you are feeling confrontational in general.

Have a nice day. :thumbup:

Well I for one am just totally confused. Why didn't you just ask for CC then and see if anyone saw anything wrong with it. I don't see an issue worth arguing over here, at all. You said you didnt want CC right? But then you ask someone to tell you if there is something wrong, WB, exposure, whatever.... which is CC. Are you drinking tonight? I don't think this rambling makes a bit of damn sense.

:thumbdown:

Well I for one am just totally confused. Why didn't you just ask for CC then and see if anyone saw anything wrong with it. I don't see an issue worth arguing over here, at all. You said you didnt want CC right? But then you ask someone to tell you if there is something wrong, WB, exposure, whatever.... which is CC. Are you drinking tonight? I don't think this rambling makes a bit of damn sense.

:thumbdown:

I didn't want to argue about anything, I was asking for help.

If you can't help me, then why are you even here posting this? Ask yourself that.

I didn't say that I don't want C&C. I said that "I wasnt asking for C&C really".

My 1st few posts were very specific about what I was asking for.

I said that I wanted to know if anyone could tell me why it looked "strange" compared to the other photo.

I said multiple times that I thought it looked "very strange", and "plastic", or "fake"

Thank you for leaving all this out, and making it look like I never said any of it. Really appreciate that. :thumbup:

I already said in an above post that I was just going to assume that it was CA, since nobody could answer my question of why it looked strange.

I then thanked everyone who provided input, and thought that was the end of it.

For some reason people keep posting here, refusing to let it go.

In my opinion that is a terrible shot, and something is very wrong with it. I still don't know what that might be.

Are you still confused?

Last edited:
That one is also soft

Perhaps you are missing the point lol. I am trying to have a lot of the shot out of focus.

If you look very closely the center part of the flower it is very much in focus, thats exactly what I was trying to do.

If you don't care for this type of photo, thats cool. This wasn't a "mistake" is all I am saying.

The question I had is why the 1st one looks so "different" from the other pics I took. The difference I am talking about is how the color or something is strange in my opinion.

Is it overexposed? Is the white balance off? Is this CA?

I can't figure it out.

Schwetty....

Tell me whats wrong with this photo, you are the resident ps wizard.

It dosn't look in focus to me , that could explain your problem

That one is also soft

Perhaps you are missing the point lol. I am trying to have a lot of the shot out of focus.

If you look very closely the center part of the flower it is very much in focus, thats exactly what I was trying to do.

If you don't care for this type of photo, thats cool. This wasn't a "mistake" is all I am saying.

The question I had is why the 1st one looks so "different" from the other pics I took. The difference I am talking about is how the color or something is strange in my opinion.

Is it overexposed? Is the white balance off? Is this CA?

I can't figure it out.

Schwetty....

Tell me whats wrong with this photo, you are the resident ps wizard.

Even the out of focus area looks strange to me. I don't think thats it.

It must be just me, since nobody else seems to think anything is wrong with it.

If I had known that this thread was going to cause such a fuss I never would have made it (not talking about you).

I find it very strange that certain people are almost taking this personal.

Why does this thread matter so much?

Its so simple. If you can help, do it. If you can't help, then don't.

Last edited:
I think the depth of field is just too narrow to make a shot like that work. I like narrow dof stuff too, but if the exif data is correct you were near the minimum focusing distance for that lens. At f/1.2, even on a crop sensor the dof at that distance is less than 1/4". Since the blooms are so close together you end up with about half of one of them in sharp focus and the rest just ever so slightly out and I think that may be where the problem lies. There's too many blossoms almost in focus. If one of the blooms were a little higher than the rest there would be more separation and a more isolated subject. I think the reason these ever so slightly out of focus blooms look weird is that they are just enough out of focus to lack sharp definition but close enough to being in focus that they still have the color saturation so they end up kind of fake looking, like plastic. I don't know if any of this makes sense or if I'm even on the right track so definitely don't take this as fact, just my best guess.

I think the depth of field is just too narrow to make a shot like that work. I like narrow dof stuff too, but if the exif data is correct you were near the minimum focusing distance for that lens. At f/1.2, even on a crop sensor the dof at that distance is less than 1/4". Since the blooms are so close together you end up with about half of one of them in sharp focus and the rest just ever so slightly out and I think that may be where the problem lies. There's too many blossoms almost in focus. If one of the blooms were a little higher than the rest there would be more separation and a more isolated subject. I think the reason these ever so slightly out of focus blooms look weird is that they are just enough out of focus to lack sharp definition but close enough to being in focus that they still have the color saturation so they end up kind of fake looking, like plastic. I don't know if any of this makes sense or if I'm even on the right track so definitely don't take this as fact, just my best guess.

Thank you for your useful and informative post. I really appreciate it. :mrgreen:

I didn't know some of this, and yes it does make sense to me.

If I remember correctly, I was very close to or at the minimum focusing distance.

This shot stood out very much against the others to me, and I was unsure of what was causing it.

I will take greater care in the future to have good focus, since that may have been the problem.

The AF on this lens sucks by the way. And even when using manual focus it can be quite hard to nail it dead on when shooting wide open.

This shot wasnt anything serious, I was actually just testing my 85 1.2's DOF at the time (as I said before). I think that everyone was under the impression that I thought this was a good shot, and wanted C&C. Maybe I should have been more clear about it.

Last edited:

Gary,

It would seem that maybe the focus was the problem after all, I just couldn't see why before.

I was unaware that the connection between the focus, DOF, and the close distance between the blossoms may have caused it to look "fake".

Thanks for helping.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back