What is your brand?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by inTempus, Dec 23, 2008.

?

What brand of DSLR do you prefer?

1. Canon

33 vote(s)
    41.8%
  2. Nikon

36 vote(s)
    45.6%
  3. Sony

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Pentax

7 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I just thought I would see who prefers what make of camera.

I'm horribly brand loyal... I research things to death then when I do purchase, if what I've bought lives up to my expectations the brand loyalty starts to build. :)

What's your favorite brand of camera?

2. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm pretty die-hard Canon, chances are I'll stay Canon unless something really drastic happens. I don't really get the folks who constantly brand switch, it's a huge waste of money and energy for fairly small improvements overall. That said, Nikon makes some quality products and I've made some images I'm very proud of using Nikon cameras, so it's not like I'm one of these people who sneers at the other brand without having ever used one. I really enjoyed using the D2x and D2h, I just wouldn't want to take them into a situation that wasn't brightly lit!

edit: it's funny to me to see that Nikon users tend to have stronger 'fanatic' brand loyalty, dating back even to when Nikon really was not fielding cameras that were competitive feature and price wise with Canon, at least on the professional level (the D2h, for example, was selling new up until the release of the D3, and for all intents and purposes did not offer anything over the already thrice replaced Canon 1D. Obviously that has changed with the newer cameras, but it's still interesting nonetheless.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  3. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I sneer at Canon. Not for IQ or anything retarded like that (any camera takes great pictures). I just notice a lack of certain features that I swore were standard across all lines.

The super massive huge F***IN' plus of being a Canon user, is the sheer amount of used equipment there is out there compared to Nikon. A Canon user just getting started should want for NOTHING when it comes to buying other peoples stuff. Accordingly, the scarcity of Nikon used items, is all too often reflected in the cost.

4. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    NIKON!!!!!!

5. Lyncca

Lyncca TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Canon.

Just kidding. See signature.

6. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What kind of features are you talking about? I do notice that Canon has a greater tendency to nickel and dime (well, dollar and more dollar :( ) on stuff like flash triggers instead of CLS, and that sort of thing, but having used both cameras I didn't feel like I was missing anything going back to my Canons. However, it would be fair to note that this is speaking from using the professional models of both brands.

7. El2

El2 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've always been a Canon girl from P&S to DSLR.

8. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Photos OK to edit
    Marlboro.

(Because you were so kind as to not include Olympus.)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  9. OldClicker

OldClicker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've never seen a DSLR that doesn't have far more talent than I ever will. - TF

10. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Didn't think of them. :) I Googled "top DSLRs" and visited the first link which was CNET. Best entry-level digital SLR cameras - CNET Reviews So I pulled from that list, being a total noob to cameras. :)

11. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Loyal Nikon user and lover since 1969. Nikon DSLR's since 1999. That said, once you choose a brand/mount/system, most of us feel locked in as the expense to change glass and accessories if prohibitive. I'm glad I did choose Nikon back in the day. My first lens still mounts and shoots on my D3. Great system! Oh, did I mention I'm a Nikon snob? lol

12. Chewbecca

Chewbecca TPF Noob!

I could have done either.
    I went with my D60 because I had chance to hold my in-laws' D40x and it felt nice in my hands.
    But when I was going to upgrade, I considered Canon. I was wanting to upgrade to a D300, went to Best Buy to hold it, and came across a 40D.
    I thought, "hm...let me see this."
    And I considered it.
    Until I tried to figure out how to turn it on. I couldn't figure the camera out.
    It took me like 1-2 minutes to find the on/off switch! It's at the bottom instead of up top. And it seemed hidden.

I held the D300, turned it on, already knew how to work a basic Nikon, so I didn't have problems finding things in the menu.
    No Canon for me.
    Plus, I CANNOT, for the life of me, keep track/know the difference with all of Canon's DSLRs.
    SOOOO confusing to me. I don't know why.
    I am CONSTANTLY mixing up the XSI, XTI, and then there's the 20D, 30D, 40D, 200D, whateverD, or something...
    I just get too confused.