Votes: 33 41.8%
  • Nikon

Votes: 36 45.6%
  • Sony

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Pentax

Votes: 7 8.9%

• Total voters
everything ive ever seen and experienced has shown that its pretty much a 50/50 split between nikon and canon owners. BUT the thing I've noticed is that it seems Nikon owners are more vocal about their choice, and WHY its better, and need the reconfirmation that their brand is best, and made the best choice.

I think in my case it's not a matter of "reconfirmation", but pride in that almost 40 years ago I made the correct decision as a "wet behind the ears" 14 year old. :D Just a proud Nikonian.

I think in my case it's not a matter of "reconfirmation", but pride in that almost 40 years ago I made the correct decision as a "wet behind the ears" 14 year old. :D Just a proud Nikonian.
So what you're saying is I made the wrong choice last week when I decided on Canon?!?!?

:p

everything ive ever seen and experienced has shown that its pretty much a 50/50 split between nikon and canon owners. BUT the thing I've noticed is that it seems Nikon owners are more vocal about their choice, and WHY its better, and need the reconfirmation that their brand is best, and made the best choice.

That's crap. I see more people giving me excuses of why they went Canon -- that they have faster glass, etc. I just smile and nod.

Both are good systems. If you don't know what you are doing with a camera, then your photos will be crap either way. I guarantee that I could take a Canon and produce a good shot. It would just take me longer to figure out where the settings were.

So what you're saying is I made the wrong choice last week when I decided on Canon?!?!?

Well, yea! :greenpbl:

Well, yea! :greenpbl:
Pffft, what do you know? I've seen your gallery... color me unimpressed. The day your Nikon takes a picture on par with this, then we can talk.

onion_news1532.jpg

That's what I thought! Shivering in your boots now, aren't ya?

:mrgreen:

The poll will not let me answer correctly.

Nikon - Most equipemnt
Minolta - Second most but all film
Bronica - Medium format film
Canon - Only digital

And just for the heck of it. I was thinking of picking up some cheap Pentax film stuff just so I can play with it. Pentax ME Super was the first 35mm film camera I used. Thinking of getting one for old time sakes. :mrgreen:

I am a canon user. I really like it, but have thought more than once of switching over until my boss bought a D60. I picked it up and it completely disagreed with my hand. I tried to change things and show him the basics, cause i thought it couldnt be too different from mine..... It was a nice camera though, felt solid and the screen was way nicer than mine :( His kit came with 2 VR lenses and was far less than I paid a year ago for my kit, but I guess thats to be expected. I am jelouse of you long time nikon users and your long list of lenses that still mount. I really hope that the mounting system is done "evolving" for canon for the next 50 years so I can pass my camera stuff down to my son and he can buy the latest body and be far ahead of the game.

No, not at all. I made the right choice for me in my opinion. Time will tell if you made the correct choice for you. Ford/Chevy, BMW/Merc, Colt/S&W, Nikon/Canon. We all make choices and only we can decide if they were right for us. As Daddy always said, 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. They are both good, it's just personal opinion, wants and desires.

lol what i said is a joke, it will be completely opposite, depending on which camera you own. nikon users will believe canon users are more vocal, and canon users the other way around. i always choose the middle ground..they are both accomplished companies, good at what they do...i honestly don't understand the elitism for either brand..there are pros and cons to both.

Nikon for me! They just feel so right in the hand and the build quality....well!!!

You should have the option of selecting: "whatever works the best for me".

I do not care for the Brand.
I only care if the equipment functions to my requirements.

I have used many different brands of cameras, in different formats, and for different purposes.
I have not stuck to a single brand. Each brand had a specific model that fit my specific requirement ... so I ended up with a mix ... and this changed over time as I replaced them.

There are some specific Model's of camera that I favor ... but not a brand, as each brand has made some stuff that was not that good.

i'm relatively new to the photography world, but I have to say Nikon. I've demo'd some Canons - a didn't like them all that well. IT felt unnatural in my hands and seriously didn't make a photo that was all that different from any Nikon I've used. IMO, Nikon is a more intuitive system that thinks how you think, whereas it seems that Canon forces you to think in a different system - but that might also be that I learned on my wife's Nikon when I demo'd the Canons...

i always choose the middle ground..they are both accomplished companies, good at what they do...i honestly don't understand the elitism for either brand..there are pros and cons to both.
I don't think of it as elitism so much as I think of it as Nikon sucks. :lmao:

Joking aside, I was after a camera that shot fast in continuous mode and was generally a good all around amateur camera that allowed me to grow into my hobby. Given my interest in fast moving subject (shoot sports, running dogs, playing kids, landscapes) my research took me to Canon. I looked at the Nikon line closely but found several online resources that pointed me to Canon based on my interests in photography.

Here's one such site: How to pick a digital SLR camera

From that site, here's a comparison for Nikon.

comparison.png

comparison2.png

If you look at the competitors for each camera the 40D's ($1,000) rival in the Nikon line is the $1,800 D300. I know this is a vast over simplification, but when you go through the rest of that site you'll see that based upon my interests the Canon is probably my best choice. The only regret I have is talking myself out of the 50D at this point. But I am in love with my 40D.

:mrgreen:

Interesting thread... What every happened to "it's the person behind the camera that matters" ?? :wink:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Technically it is a Chrysler as Dodge is under the Chrysler umbrella. Depending on the year model you could call it a Mercedes. (well Daimler)

;)
Don't forget about your British Daimlers! :)

Most reactions

Back