Votes: 33 41.8%
  • Nikon

Votes: 36 45.6%
  • Sony

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Pentax

Votes: 7 8.9%

• Total voters
I just threw in that I use Olympus and it was notlisted. I also drive a Subaru which is a wonderful car. I also have a Canon AE-1 film camera from 1981.

-------------

Last edited:
I'm horribly brand loyal...

I am brand loyal to a point. For myself, I know what I want before I put down any money (I do all my own research). I always respect the choices of others, but *never* let it influence or pressure me.

You put what you want in your bag and I will put what I want in mine and we can still be friends and shoot together... but don't expect me for ONE second to listen to you preach about what is in my bag... unless you want to see a picture of my back walking away from you.

I don't think of it as elitism so much as I think of it as Nikon sucks. :lmao:

Joking aside, I was after a camera that shot fast in continuous mode and was generally a good all around amateur camera that allowed me to grow into my hobby. Given my interest in fast moving subject (shoot sports, running dogs, playing kids, landscapes) my research took me to Canon. I looked at the Nikon line closely but found several online resources that pointed me to Canon based on my interests in photography.

Here's one such site: How to pick a digital SLR camera

From that site, here's a comparison for Nikon.

comparison.png

comparison2.png

If you look at the competitors for each camera the 40D's ($1,000) rival in the Nikon line is the $1,800 D300. I know this is a vast over simplification, but when you go through the rest of that site you'll see that based upon my interests the Canon is probably my best choice. The only regret I have is talking myself out of the 50D at this point. But I am in love with my 40D.

:mrgreen:

The difference between the 40D and the D300 has vastly reduced form whenever that article was written. At some point though, especially with the D300, the price performance begins to appear once you start using the camera. Nikon isn't Apple - you're actually getting something for that premium.

You put what you want in your bag and I will put what I want in mine and we can still be friends and shoot together... but don't expect me for ONE second to listen to you preach about what is in my bag... unless you want to see a picture of my back walking away from you.
Oh, I'm the same way. The ribbing in this thread is tongue in cheek, I honestly don't care what brand someone else uses. Actually, I prefer people use something other than what I have - diversity causes us to grow intellectually. I would like to spend some time with a Nikon. My problem is that I don't know anyone else in my circle of friends that is into photography so I'll likely not have the chance any time soon.

I made my decision in a vacuum really... I wish I had the opportunity to have had real world experience with both Canon and Nikon before making my decision.

... I made my decision in a vacuum really... I wish I had the opportunity to have had real world experience with both Canon and Nikon before making my decision.
I hear that. I've head of folks renting cameras / lenses before they buy. That sounds like a good idea but I don't have any 'real' camera stores out in the little area I live: all we have is a Ritz and a Best Buy which has more stuff than Ritz! The closest place is at least an hour's drive from here, one way, and I just don't have the time or energy to spend what would wind up being a whole day to check stuff out :(

Nikon.

Back in college I shot with a Pentax for my film photography class - I liked it but once the digital world opened up, it seemed like everyone in my family was gravitating towards Nikon so that's what I was around all the time and shot with.

Now that I am lucky enough to be shooting a D700 - I absolutely love it and can't wait to really know it inside and out.

I would like to spend some time with a Nikon. My problem is that I don't know anyone else in my circle of friends that is into photography so I'll likely not have the chance any time soon.

Join a local photography club?

I'm a Nikon SLR person for two reasons - my dad always had Nikon/Nikkor when I was growing up, so it was the brand I gravitated toward when I started looking for a camera. The other reason was what another person said here - I picked up a Canon at the store and couldn't figure out the damn menu in a jiff. I'm not a stupid person, it just wasn't intuitive for me. I'm sure there are people who've had the same experience with Nikon.

For P&S, I really became a fan of Panasonic Lumix cameras. I think the features are pretty extensive and the quality of the pictures is consistently good for a P&S.

I have a film Pentax which is ages old & which I only started using (I got it at an estate auction). I just turned in my 1st roll of B&W film yesterday and pick it up tomorrow - we'll see how it goes. I hear great things about Pentax film cameras, though.

I am currently using a Sony a200 and I love it so far. It is a great camera.

I preferr Canon...But I shoot'em all...All cept Riccoh and Fujifilm....I'm planning on fixing that situation right directly.

I shoot everything I own atleast one full roll of film.

i dont really understand the argument on both sides of how the menus and controls of the opposing brand are hard to figure out and unintuitive.

being solely a canon user, i went to best buy this week and messed around w/ a d90, and i very easily started navigating the menus, and figured out how to change the exposure settings.

When i got my canon, having never picked up an slr since the early 90's, it took me 10 minutes to figure out the menu and controls, and i only read the manual so i knew everything about my camera.

it just doesnt seem that hard to me to figure it out, not enough to have it hold me back from crossing brands at least.

the one thing i do understand is that the brand you pick first tends to be the one you stick w/, as lenses and accessories tend to be brand specific, and very expensive...so very few people would be willing to start all over just to try a different brand.

Most reactions

Back