What is your idea of a holiday?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Garbz, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am asking because a friend told me I should be relaxing on my holiday. Instead my left leg has a huge bruise from skiing 3 days ago, and my right knee has a brace on it after injuring it while snowshoeing up a Canadian mountain. I also drank so much I nearly checked myself into the hospital in Prague, I picked a fight with a large Hungarian in Budapest, and we nearly launched a firework into ourselves in Vienna.

The friend in question spent 2 weeks laying in the sand in Hawaii to which all I can say is <yawn>.

Tomorrow's adventure takes me into the Rockies where we will attempt to ski at Jasper despite the -25 degree temperatures and the frostbite warning. Now this is a holiday. I look forward to work so I can relax.

2. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm in the US. Thus, my idea of a holiday is Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Independance Day..... :lol:

A vacation on the other hand, where I vacate work and go do something would be sitting on the beach much like you said about your friend. I bust my tail at work all year long, I want to relax.

In reality, my vacations are only time available to work on the house and bust my tail some more. Can't afford to do anything else in this economy anyways...

3. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

What the hell are you??? James Bond???

4. MikeBcos

MikeBcos TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Holidays: Excuse the quality of the first 2, bad scans from prints

1987: Driving a 1974 MGB from Cambridgeshire, England to Greece taking in France, Italy and Yugoslavia on the way.
    [​IMG]

1998: Driving a 1975 MGB From London, England to Portugal via France, Spain and Andorra.
    [​IMG]

2008: Driving a 1979 MGB from St. Louis, Missouri to the Jersey shore.
    [​IMG]

Those are the holidays I enjoy.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  5. Chiller

Chiller Mental case

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Peace and quiet away from work, people and life. Two of my favorite holidays I have had....
    Cycled to Niagara Falls from my house.(160 kms one way, aboot 100 miles American) No cell phone, no nothing. Just me, my bike and a little point and shoot camera and nature
    Last year, I rented a car....drove to Ottawa, and stayed where ever, did whatever, wandered wherever.

I love wandering the planet alone, and being able to go where I want..that is my holiday. :D

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like both types of vacations. Sometimes we go on vacation and try to fit in as many activities as possible. This is certainly fun (if everything goes well) and adventures certainly make for better memories and stories.
    However, at the end of a vacation like this...you still feel like you need a vacation. Especially when you get home and go right back to work.

A relaxing vacation can also be a great thing. In this case you want to avoid adventure and just relax. Sometimes a week off of work, spent at home, can be a great vacation.

My problem is that I can't afford to take a lot of vacations...so when I do take one, I try to mix the two types.

7. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

I'm with Big Mike! So many of my vacations are jam packed, I feel like I need another day or two off when I get back, but there's nothing quite like it. Once in a while, though, a nice relaxing trip is what you need...

8. Kegger

Kegger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My vacations are days like today. When I don't have to go to work and I can either sit on my butt or take my camera out and get some shots.

Or scuba diving, that's cool too lol.

9. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Who watches over your basement while you are gone?

Craiglist?

Nocturnal murderous manic requires a fun loving, thick skinned helper to look after rotting corpses and a few undead. Will pay 8oz of blood daily. Please, garlic eaters need not apply.

Call Chiller (505)798-7762

10. Chiller

Chiller Mental case

Photos NOT OK to edit

Chiller does. :lmao::lmao::lmao: And he always makes a mess by the time I get back.

11. Buszaj

Buszaj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Skiing and camping. Jasper sounds like fun, except for the extreme cold, then there's no fun in skiing.

12. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

lol.... i think ur right.... sorry about the calling you James Bond thing...