What is your opinion on olympus d-slr????

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by wgp1987, Jul 23, 2009.

1. wgp1987

wgp1987 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The olympus d-slr line is very apealing and their cameras have a great feel and a lot of bang for the buck. The four thirds mounting system is a great concept and with great glass available such as "leica". The olympus line seems to be a piece of coal slowly developing into a diamond. The only reason i would not consider an olympus camera is because of the smaller image sensor, but is it that big of a deal? Can a slr system directly based on the digital aspect of photography with great glass be major competition with aps-c and full frame sensors??? or will the olympus cameras be only a compact solution to the consumer who wants better quality without lugging around larger equipmenmt. What do you think? :thumbup:/:thumbdown:

2. Misfitlimp

Misfitlimp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Stick to canon or nikkon.

3. Cool G5

Cool G5 TPF Noob!

I too recommend sticking to Nikon or Canon due to the large range of lenses & accessories. A smaller Image sensor is a big no, if you want to take good pictures.

4. MBasile

MBasile TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, people told me to stick to Canon and Nikon too :scratch:

I went with Sony and they are continuing to put out new equipment that is getting great reviews (pst! even when compared to Canon and Nikon equivalents!). My suggestion would be to read through the Photography - PopPhoto.com Offers Camera Reviews and Exclusive Photo Tips and Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ reviews of the Olympus cameras and see what the experts have to say in their hands on reviews.

Quote from one of the Nikon fan boys, yet he refused still to admit that Sony was emerging as a quality competitor in the DSLR field.

"you are a living proof that equipment do not matter. you are a master of your own domain."

5. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Olympus has a long history of producing top-quality gear, and while I've not had much exposure to their digital gear all of their reviews seem to be excellent. The only issue with the 4/3 format is, aside from being physically smaller, it increases your apparent focal length by a factor of two. That means that a 50mm lens will give the FoV of a 100mm lens on a full-frame/FSLR. If you're into wildlife, birding, etc, this is a bonus. If you're into landscapes, or other wide-angle type photography, maybe not so much.

Your best bet is to go down to a real bricks and mortar camera store, (NOT Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc) and talk to a salesperson, and play with all of the different options. While you may love the stats on the Olympus, you may find that you hate the ergonomics.

6. Baaaark

Baaaark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Some people who think they're going to be a professional some day should probably stick with Canon or Nikon.

But IMO people who are just wanting a great camera for not a lot of money should SERIOUSLY consider Olympus. They're great! They have some of the nicest kit lenses, and even though they are different than other cameras (people will tell you the smaller sensor creates noise and whatnot), to the average person the differences are negligible at best.

7. Rayne

Rayne TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My first real digital camera was an Olympus with the two kit lenses and I absolutly loved that camera. I got some of my best images from it, and I was so sad when I sold it a few years ago :(

8. Baaaark

Baaaark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    With ergonomics the 420 sucked IMO. But the 520 was much better.

9. wgp1987

wgp1987 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i work in a camera store. i was asking from a photographers perspective, not a customers. im not sure why you would say one would dislike the ergonomics. the cameras are very comfortable and the functionality is great.

thats i why when i did get my camera i baught a canon. olympus is amazing for the money and im just wondering if olympus's technology will be dominant in the future? if leica is on board, has to be something to this whole four/thirds thing.

10. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

11. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My camera cost 5 times as much as most Olympus gear. I'm a snob. I'm not qualified to answer these questions.

12. Baaaark

Baaaark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't remeber saying this. I'm suing you for libel!!!

:lol: