What is your opinion on olympus d-slr????

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The olympus d-slr line is very apealing and their cameras have a great feel and a lot of bang for the buck. The four thirds mounting system is a great concept and with great glass available such as "leica". The olympus line seems to be a piece of coal slowly developing into a diamond. The only reason i would not consider an olympus camera is because of the smaller image sensor, but is it that big of a deal? Can a slr system directly based on the digital aspect of photography with great glass be major competition with aps-c and full frame sensors??? or will the olympus cameras be only a compact solution to the consumer who wants better quality without lugging around larger equipmenmt. What do you think? :thumbup:/:thumbdown:

I too recommend sticking to Nikon or Canon due to the large range of lenses & accessories. A smaller Image sensor is a big no, if you want to take good pictures.

Yeah, people told me to stick to Canon and Nikon too :scratch:

I went with Sony and they are continuing to put out new equipment that is getting great reviews (pst! even when compared to Canon and Nikon equivalents!). My suggestion would be to read through the Photography - PopPhoto.com Offers Camera Reviews and Exclusive Photo Tips and Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ reviews of the Olympus cameras and see what the experts have to say in their hands on reviews.

Quote from one of the Nikon fan boys, yet he refused still to admit that Sony was emerging as a quality competitor in the DSLR field.

"you are a living proof that equipment do not matter. you are a master of your own domain."

Olympus has a long history of producing top-quality gear, and while I've not had much exposure to their digital gear all of their reviews seem to be excellent. The only issue with the 4/3 format is, aside from being physically smaller, it increases your apparent focal length by a factor of two. That means that a 50mm lens will give the FoV of a 100mm lens on a full-frame/FSLR. If you're into wildlife, birding, etc, this is a bonus. If you're into landscapes, or other wide-angle type photography, maybe not so much.

Your best bet is to go down to a real bricks and mortar camera store, (NOT Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc) and talk to a salesperson, and play with all of the different options. While you may love the stats on the Olympus, you may find that you hate the ergonomics.

Some people who think they're going to be a professional some day should probably stick with Canon or Nikon.

But IMO people who are just wanting a great camera for not a lot of money should SERIOUSLY consider Olympus. They're great! They have some of the nicest kit lenses, and even though they are different than other cameras (people will tell you the smaller sensor creates noise and whatnot), to the average person the differences are negligible at best.

My first real digital camera was an Olympus with the two kit lenses and I absolutly loved that camera. I got some of my best images from it, and I was so sad when I sold it a few years ago :(

Olympus has a long history of producing top-quality gear, and while I've not had much exposure to their digital gear all of their reviews seem to be excellent. The only issue with the 4/3 format is, aside from being physically smaller, it increases your apparent focal length by a factor of two. That means that a 50mm lens will give the FoV of a 100mm lens on a full-frame/FSLR. If you're into wildlife, birding, etc, this is a bonus. If you're into landscapes, or other wide-angle type photography, maybe not so much.

Your best bet is to go down to a real bricks and mortar camera store, (NOT Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc) and talk to a salesperson, and play with all of the different options. While you may love the stats on the Olympus, you may find that you hate the ergonomics.

With ergonomics the 420 sucked IMO. But the 520 was much better.

i work in a camera store. i was asking from a photographers perspective, not a customers. im not sure why you would say one would dislike the ergonomics. the cameras are very comfortable and the functionality is great.

Some people who think they're going to be a professional some day should probably stick with Canon or Nikon.

But IMO people who are just wanting a great camera for not a lot of money should SERIOUSLY consider Olympus. They're great! They have some of the nicest kit lenses, and even though they are different than other cameras (people will tell you the smaller sensor creates noise and whatnot), to the average person the differences are negligible at best.

thats i why when i did get my camera i baught a canon. olympus is amazing for the money and im just wondering if olympus's technology will be dominant in the future? if leica is on board, has to be something to this whole four/thirds thing.

im not sure why you would say one would dislike the ergonomics.

For the same reason that you might a particular pair of shoes comfortable and someone else would not. We're all different. For instance, I don't like the ergonomics of most Canon cameras; there's nothing wrong with them, they just don't suit me.

Some olympus is amazing for the money and im just wondering if olympus's technology will be dominant in the future? if leica is on board, has to be something to this whole four/thirds thing.

I doubt very much that you will ever see Olympus unseat Canon or Nikon, but they're a good product.

Some olympus is amazing for the money and im just wondering if olympus's technology will be dominant in the future? if leica is on board, has to be something to this whole four/thirds thing.

I doubt very much that you will ever see Olympus unseat Canon or Nikon, but they're a good product.

I don't remeber saying this. I'm suing you for libel!!!

:lol:

I do believe that Olympus had the first automatic evaluative flash metering system. Sometimes the smaller manufacturers are the ones ahead of the pack in some areas.

Who had the first auto focus? Was it Pentax?

'Twas Minolta...

Olympus falls apart on high-ISO performance and lens range, both thanks to the 2x sensor. It's just not made to support larger sensors and therefore can't take advantage of advances in technology like the other manufacturers can do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back