what is your place in the world...

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by mysteryscribe, Jul 13, 2006.

1. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Okay for those of you who work in photography even part time I have a question for you. It's not about which camera you use, it's about how you see yourself.

Okay This is like the Maryland psych test.

When you are working on a photo job which of these do you think is best discribes your relationship to your client. I am more like a _______ than any of the others

1) Caterer

2) florist

3) lawyer

4) Doctor

then of course why do you feel that way.

2. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'll say Doctor. Cause what I'm doing involves some tinkering with science as well as craft. In addition, *I* choose the treatment plan, as it were. :mrgreen:

3. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    well ... this may sound a bit rude or make me an egoist but.. I think I am more like a lawyer... why? because whenever I take photos of people - portrait sessions or couples - I always want them to do what I tell them. ok.. I accept suggestions and sometimes I follow them but mostly I like to do "my vision"... often I like to find even the smallest advana\tages of those people and somehow take them out (advantages) from the inside ... does it make any sense?

4. jdunphy

jdunphy TPF Noob!

I'm like a florist... When I screw things up, as I frequently do, most people still think it looks pretty. 8) When I do everything right, people still think it just looks pretty. :neutral:

5. bigfatbadger

bigfatbadger TPF Noob!

:lol::lol: That's a great reason!

I'd say caterer. I listen to what people want and I try to deliver something that meets what they want. Actually maybe that's doctor, delivering a solution to people's problems.

6. Protean

Protean TPF Noob!

im just sitting here wishing i had ever actually gone on a photoshoot, man, i really wanna do that sometime....

7. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Brings to mind the story of the three men laying bricks. When asked what they were doing, the first answered. "I'm laying a brick." The second man replied, "I'm building a wall." The third thought a second, and then said, "I'm erecting a cathedral."

8. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No fair Torus, you are giving hints. Now they all will be building castles in the sky.

9. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Or in Spain! Incidentally, Spain issued several sets of postage stamps depicting castles. They're magnificent examples of engraved bi-colors.

10. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    for our friend who wants to do a photoshoot. Getting one or two shoots is just a matter of showing your photos around. Show them to people, give a few away even, eventually someone will ask you to shoot something for them. Charge a small amount and you will have your photoshoot.

Shooting a few now and then for money isn't all that hard. Fooling yourself into thinking you can make a business of it isn't hard either. Actually making a fulltime living at photography is a pure D *****. Ask anyone who has ever done it or tried to do it.

But alas I digress...

11. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't think any of those four choices compare well to what I do, but then again, I probably don't know much about what they do. I guess I'd choose lawyer, because I'm negotiating with reality for the fantasy the client desires.

12. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I had a tough time choosing from the list as well. My first thought would be Lawyer. Clients come to me because they have no clue about the process or what is involved. All they know is that they can not do it by themselves. I wave my magic wand (so to speak) and the results (more often then not) exceed their expectations. I then charge them an exuberant amount of money.