What kind of camera?!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by tabernaclia, Sep 14, 2008.

1. tabernaclia

tabernaclia TPF Noob!

Last week, I saw Transsiberian with a friend of mine. One of the characters was an amateur photographer, but she had a relatively nice camera, I think. I don't really know enough about cameras to describe, but it wasn't the little digital camera that one carries around in a purse. It had a decent zoom, and it took clear pictures without a flash. It reminded me of the camera my mother's friend used to use, she was able to take very intimate, candid photos from far away. I have a cheap digital camera now, it's not very good. I can't take any photos without the flash without them being completely indiscernible and blurry. I would like to get a new camera, a better camera. And so I'm looking for advice on a good camera that somewhat fits the description of what I described before.

A camera that takes good quality, clear photos, that can work without a flash.
    A decent zoom.
    I don't mind if it's larger. Portability really isn't a problem; I would rather lug around a camera that takes awesome photos, than one that fits in my pockets and never pleases me.

What other things should I look for in a camera? Are there things I want that I don't really need? I'm not a photographer by any means, but I do enjoy it. I would be using the camera for personal use. As for the price, I don't mind spending a couple hundred dollars. I would really appreciate any advice, information or suggestions.

2. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Any camera can work without a flash.

Zoom is inherent in the lens (if you're talking about something beyond a base "point & shoot"). If you want an advanced P&S then you're looking at more than a couple hundred dollars for the G and Coolpix series of cameras.

And most importantly, do you have any experience at all with cameras?

3. Harmony

Harmony TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    While some cameras do take 'awesome photos', much of it is learning about cameras, apertures, shutter speeds, filters, etc etc. And it makes photography a LOT more fun than simply letting the camera do all the work!