what kind of camera?

Casey006

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm a complete newbie to photography. But I want to get into taking action photos. So around where I live there a alot of skateboarders and snowboarders. What kind of camera would I need. Most of them are street skateboarders. I have a regualr digital camera(what at best would that do?) and I also have a Canon T50 aswell(what at best would that do?).
Also if you have any tips on taking photos for skateboarders and snowboarders, please post them. I would be greatly appreciated.

i wont talk about cameras, because, you havent given us enough info (i'e BUDGET) really your best bet it to get out to a camera store, and hold them, find the one that feels comfortable to YOU.

Now, as for shooting skateboarders.. I can offer advice, because I shoot them everyday, and I skate myself...

Stay low, and stay close.. get a fisheye.. pics of skaters from far away, suck.. they are boring, and its hard to tell whats going on.. also, photos of skaters at eye level (you standing up taking the photo) are boring as heck, they have no punch.. get low to the ground, and shoot UP towards them.. try to get the whole body in the image.. this is why you need a fisheye.. because, you can't get close, and have their whole body in the shot, with a normal lens, they just aren't wide enough..

and then, when it comes to actually taking the pics, learn how the trick looks, and find out which part of the trick looks the coolest, and take the pic then.. theres nothing worse than taking a photo of a guy doing a kick flip, when is board is in the upright position.. you want it part way through the flip..

i wont talk about cameras, because, you havent given us enough info (i'e BUDGET) really your best bet it to get out to a camera store, and hold them, find the one that feels comfortable to YOU.
That's exactly my point with the other post.

That's exactly my point with the other post.

I figured likely!!!

to the OP.. you can ask us what camera you should get, but if you don't tell us how much you have to spend, we are ALL going to recommend the expensive cameras.. because, well, they are the cameras we all want.. however, if you only have $500 or $1000 that helps us know what kind of camera we can suggest... to give you an idea, the first camera suggested is around a $6500 camera.. and the second around $5000

A good lens is probably more important then the camera you pick. You will learn it has more to do with the photographer then the equipment. Give a pro an entry level camera with kit lens and you will see some great shots. When I first got my SLR this spring my pictures were not as good as the ones I took with my point and shoot. There is a learning curve wants you get away from full auto.

OK I guess the highest price would be $500. So anything $500 or less.
EDIT:Also are there any digital ones that are good for skateboarding photos?

Most entry level DLSR are going to come in around $500.00 or higher with a kit lens. If you find a reputable online dealer (Adorama or B&H, etc.) you can get a refurbished unit for a little cheaper. Most on here will tell you the factory refurbs are great, most are like new.

Around $500 the one Ill get would be the Nikon D40 and save up for a nice lens.

yup.. what ^^ said.. with $500 you can only really get an entry level, so, the D40 is my suggestion.. you might be able to find a used one somewhere.. but, with $500 budget, theres not much for you.. you might be able to find a D80 used for 500.. BUT, who knows what shape it would be in.. i got a D50 about a year ago at a Pawn Shop for $250.. but that was because they didn't know anything about it, so I just low balled them.. and its still going strong.. I love it.. but a deal like that is hard to come by

Canon Rebel Xsi is what i use.. its not really that expensive, it will probably run you around $500 maybe a bit more. That was my first really good camera and I got it as a graduation gift. I still use it and I LOVE it. Canon all the way. Its not not complicated at all to use and its really user friendly. ;)

For action, the lens will be more important than the body if you have a limited budget.

Here is a Nikon-refurbished D40 for $300:

Nikon USA D40 Digital SLR Camera Body Kit with Warranty - eBay (item 190335081678 end time Sep-23-09 20:04:29 PDT)

Skateboarding is an action sport so you'll want a fast lens... Nikon's 35mm f/1.8G will enable you to get a fast shutter speed to freeze action. As 35mm is not a very long focal length, you'll have to get fairly close to your subject though. Here is a link to that lens:

Nikon | AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX Lens | 2183 | B&H Photo Video

There you have your $500 budget and a good starting point, and you'll be able to take photos of lots of other things as well. There are better options, but you would have to spend a lot more money.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back