What kind of camera...?

JaimeGibb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all!!! I am about to buy a brand new digital SLR for myself. Most of its use will be for portriats, ie newborns, children, families and so on. I am trying to build a good portfolio so I can start a mini business. My problem is that Im not sure what kind of camera would be best. Probably a Canon or Nikon. I also have no idea what any of those numbers mean!!! Haha...like D50, D40, f/30, whatever. The only thing I know are MPs and I want atleast 8.

Anyone have any suggestions? What would be the best model and brand to buy? I would also like to get a lens to go along with the camera, but am not sure what type of lens would be best. My total budget would idealy be between $700 and $1000. Thanks SO much!!!!!

~Jaime

You arent going to get much with a total budget of $700-1000, except for maybe a nice body and one (maybe 2) lenses. But to start out, that may be all you need for now, and then you can add on more things later. My preference for camera is in my sig (canon). You can get a new Canon Rebel XTi with a kit lens for that amount, or just the body and then purchase a nicer overall lens such as the 17-85mm IS USM lens, which will give you a little better zoom range. Another Canon lens to start out with is the 50mm f/1.8, which is a great portrait lens and gives you sharp images for the money. If you want to go the next level of camera, the Canon 30D is excellent. I have no regrets with mine. Whichever model or brand you decide to purchase (I personally wouldnt go with anything else other than Canon or Nikon), read read read and then read some more on topics such as exposure, lighting, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, technique, style, and many other things related to serious photography, and then practice practice practice. And whatever you do, HAVE FUN!

btw, maybe this post should be in the beginners forum...

Most reactions

Back