What kind of education do you have?

marie1128

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As far as photography classes/degrees are concerned, what do you have specifically relating to your business? Not really aspiring to become pro (yet), just taking a poll right now. Thanks!

Grade 11 education. 40 years with a camera, it all depends on the generation each of us comes from. In this generation a business background, along with photography is the combination that will give you the best chance at success. Mind you, if you are an average business person with above average photographic skills, and great with selling yourself, you have the possibilities for greater success.

Don't always assume that a great education will get you anywhere, it doesn't matter what you are doing. Luck and knowing the right people always come into play.

I have almost zero formal photography education. I took a couple of classes in high school (I graduated in 1980).

To be honest, I don't know too many working photographers who have a formal education in photography...

I've taken a handful of evening/weekend classes and I try to attend seminars when they come around.

There certainly is a lot to learn in the field of photography, and education is almost always a good thing...but...the thing about a field like photography, is that you could have a Master's degree, and still loose a job to a 17 year old kid off the street...if the client likes their portfolio better.

In terms of photographic education, I think that one really needs to look at what type of photography career they want to pursue. It seems that for most, it would be running their own small business, which is why business education is often the recommend path.

Plenty of great photographers have failed to make a living with it, because they can't run a successful business....and plenty of average photographers make a great living at it, because they are very good at the business side of things.

As for formal education, nearly anything in the fine arts would help. Help you see. Help you understand composition.

I'm not a pro-photog, but I have a BA in ad design/marketing with some additional college level photography courses and seminars. I occasionally shoot for $$ and I have a business license but I am far too new to this to call myself a pro.

I'm in my last year of college getting a useless degree (and not even when referring to the job market. It's a useless degree no matter how good the economy is). My parents want me to go to law school but, yeah, that's not happening. I've pretty much followed the typical American progression. Not that I regret it, but You won't see me writing about how I'm successful despite not having formal education any time soon lol

Last edited:
I have a Bach of Commerce from Saint Mary's, and diploma from New York Institute of Photography which I didn't do until 5 years into having my photography business. And I take creative live seminars constantly on anything and everything. Personally I think education is over rated I only did the diploma cause I wanted a diploma for my studio wall I didn't learn much that I didn't already know honestly.

I had no formal education for photography, but did have formal education in a couple of technical fields - chemistry and electrical engineering.

Like Mike, over the years I attended seminars and other photography industry related functions - like photographer association conventions.

Business skills are a key to starting and maintaining a retail photography business.
If you fail to plan, plan to fail.
So you start with a well researched and written business and marketing plan. Free business advice - Starting a Business | SBA.gov
How to Start a Home-Based Photography Business, 6th (Home-Based Business Series)
Photography Business Secrets: The Savvy Photographer's Guide to Sales, Marketing, and More
Going Pro: How to Make the Leap from Aspiring to Professional Photographer

See the City Clerk where you live to find out what your city requires regarding business registration or licensing. It is very likely you will be required to provide proof that you have business liability insurance.
Where I live a retail business can not be run out of a home.

Your state likely would require you register with them and collect and forward to them any applicable sales taxes. You may also be required to pay state use taxes and state self-employed unemployment insurance. This is where a lot of illegal businesses get hammered - with bills for back sales taxes, plus penalties and fine.
You may be required to maintain a business bank account.
Most home owners and car insurance policies will not cover any thing you do as a business, legal or not.

For tax purposes (both sales taxes and income taxes) you will need to set up an accounting system (cash or accrual) so you can show what portion of your income is from your business.
You will need some legal documents, like a contract, model release, property release, invoices, etc.
Would you still need a license if you charged less than 100 bucks per session?

It is highly unlikely you could cover your business expenses at $100 per shoot. To make money you'll likely need an average sale of at least $300 per shoot.
Many new to doing business don't take into account all the pre and post shoot time involved. A rule of thumb is to figure that with pre and post production a 1 hour shoot takes up 3 to 4 hours of the photographers time.
Business costs are another area many new to business don't account for accurately enough and grossly under estimate what their cost of doing business (CODB) is.
Here is an online CODB calculator - https://nppa.org/calculator

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Most of the time if you are looking to start your own photography business its much more important to have a business degree than anything in photography. Although you do need some skill to be a photographer the quality of your work is rarely the reason a photography business fails. Its the failure of managing their business itself that eventually puts them under.

Now that being said I am not a professional and never will be due to the above reasons. I don't have enough business knowledge or background to start anything properly. My degree is in computer science and that is where I will make my money and I practice photography very enthusiastically outside of work.

My degree in languages and literatures helped me to produce and script write photographic and television productions in several languages, my tech/television degree program taught me how to handle all aspects of television production and led to production, direction, and television camera work, and my teaching certificate gave me and "in" to photographic and television work in the education system. Formal education made the difference between "technician" status and "consultant" status which ultimately meant a higher pay grade and more respect from business execs that I was often working with.

I have a BFA in studio art. I took all three photography classes the school offered. I would not trade my college experience for the world but I learned the nitty gritty of photography working for a traditional studio. The owner told me one day "I've been in the business 30 years and made every mistake in the book. You get to reap the benefits of that so pay attention!"

Then I went and worked for a few big ad agencies and a marketing company before deciding to be the man instead of working for the man. Now I'm happy, well off and successful. But it didn't happen overnight.

Sounds very familiar.lol.

Most reactions

Back