what kind of film...

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by kwyjibo, May 9, 2005.

1. kwyjibo

kwyjibo TPF Noob!

do you use. I have been using store brand film made by Agfa mainly for cost issues.My pics turn out fair for avereage picture taking. I see some of your guy's photos and it makes me wonder if a better film would help. I have not been able to get my film shots digitized yet so no real examples show.
    :hail::hail:

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I often use a store brand, made by Fuji I think. Other times I buy bulk packs of consumer Kodak at Wal-mart or Costco.

I find that how the prints look, depends more on who/where the prints are made, than the brand of film. Some places do a lot of correction or alliteration to make the prints look better. The place I often take my film, calls it 'Vivid prints'...they boost the saturation so that the colors pop. If I take the same film to Wal-mart, the prints don't look near as good. Of course, it cost about double to get prints made at the photo store.

Of course, some film does have better color than others, some film has better contrast than others etc.

Quite often when you see photos posted on the web. The photographer has done some correction/alliteration with software. Weather it's sharpening or saturation or contrast or anything else. You can even make adjustments to simulate certain types of film.

Most of the time, when I have film developed. I have the photos scanned to CD at the same time. It's only a few dollars at this time because most machines are digital anyway and the film is in the machine as a whole roll. Once they cut the negatives to give back to you...it will cost a lot more to get it scanned.
    Once, I have the digital files, I can then make my own adjustments (like a digital darkroom) and then make prints that look how I want them to look.

3. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

You have to remember as well that a lot of contrast and saturation ('punch' if you like) comes from the quality of the lens and the original exposure.
    High quality lenses have better coatings and optics so the give more contrast than a cheap lens.
    Factors like the lighting and lens flare can reduce the quality of the image as well.
    Get the best lens you can afford, always use a lens hood, and learn how to use your lightmeter.

4. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

I've found that Fuji Reala 100 gives me the best results with no fuss - Contax with 1.7 50mm Zeiss T* and Nikon with 1.2 50mm and Pentax Spotmatic with 1.8 50mm lens all turn out great for me!

It helps to match your lab with your film - i.e. a Fuji / Noritsu paper / printing combination will be great with Fuji film, whereas a Kodak lab seems to me to be better for Kodak film.

5. kwyjibo

kwyjibo TPF Noob!

Thanx for the input. I love this forum!

6. DIRT

DIRT TPF Noob!

Fuji 64T . great sheeeoot.

7. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are shooting under tungsten photo floods. It's a tad blue for regular daylight.

8. DIRT

DIRT TPF Noob!

I only use it for night stuff. but yes under daylight conditions it is blueish.

9. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    64T is designed to render colors accurately under 3100K color temp lighting.