What kind of lens should I get?

tigerlilly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Don't get the 50mm f/1.8 for your D40.

It won't autofocus.

If you want a 50mm get the f/1.4 AF-S which A) is a killer lens and B) will autofocus with your camera.

Having said that, probably the best lens for your money is the 35mm f/1.8 AF-S DX, which is tack sharp, will focus with your camera, has a great "normal" focal length for your cropped sensor and is fast focusing.

I don't get why people would advise a beginner to buy a lens that won't autofocus with their camera, especially since focusing manually with the D40 is a bit tricky in the best of situations... but that's me.

Nikon 85mm f/1.4, nicknamed the Cream Machine for a reason.

Killer lens.

A $1700 lens for a beginner using a D40? Interesting.

Still, if you are going to spend money on photography, spend it on GLASS... and if you are going to spend $1700 spend it on a lens like that (FX & DX both, fantastic image quality, great build quality, etc).

Of course, they are so backordered it will probably be 2024 before they are available again.

A prime lens (50mm F/1.8) and a editing program. IMO

I bought the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AF-d for next to no money new, and the lack of autofocus doesn't upset me too much, since the AF-D lens will still meter. (D3000 body, but the same goes for your D40 according to the Ken Rockwell Nikon Lens compatibility chart, Nikon Lens Compatibility )

50mm 1.8 af-d = $120 (give or take new)
50mm 1.4 af-s = $450 (give or take new)

Both are really fast clean crisp lenses, but to me, the autofocus wasn't worth $300. Also, the little green focus indicator light in the viewfinder makes manual focus a snap.

alot of editing skill. I have a 50mm 1.8 and still cannot achieve that look. Just a guess, but i assume there were multiple lights, and alot of editing.

A 50mm 1.8 is good for a beginner, but as stated, it will not autofocus.

WOW thank you so much for all of the tips! I'll have to ponder this over for a while.

alot of editing skill. I have a 50mm 1.8 and still cannot achieve that look. Just a guess, but i assume there were multiple lights, and alot of editing.

Yah I imagine the Valentino one is pretty heavily edited lol

Having said that, probably the best lens for your money is the 35mm f/1.8 AF-S DX, which is tack sharp, will focus with your camera, has a great "normal" focal length for your cropped sensor and is fast focusing.

I don't get why people would advise a beginner to buy a lens that won't autofocus with their camera, especially since focusing manually with the D40 is a bit tricky in the best of situations... but that's me.

Having a D40 myself, the 35mm 1.8 is a good lens if you don't need much in terms of focal length, but it is a good lens and I have one. The 50mm 1.8 IS a very good lens, though it won't autofocus, but that fact should not deter you from getting one. The pics are tack sharp, the focal length is about right, the aperture is awesome for the money spent, and it's a great little lens to learn how to manually focus your camera on. Autofocus is really overrated, especially if you don't need it for a certain application. I'll admit I thought I'd never own another manual-focus lens for my D40, but I tried it again and it never leaves my camera anymore! You really should learn how to manually focus your D40, as the knowledge will only make you stronger as a photographer. Ignore this comment about not getting it due to it needing to be manually focused, don't get yourself into the same rut I was in. It will make you depend on autofocus and get you lazy...so do yourself a favor, buy it and learn how to use it...you'll be glad you took my advice in the end! Good luck!

It probably carries over from canon users who have a similar 50mm f1.8 lens (in price and quality position) but who don't remember/know of the AF limits with some of nikons camera bodies - so "get a 50mm f1.8) becomes a standard bit of advice even from nikon shooters who have forgotten about the AF limits on those bodies

Yah I imagine the Valentino one is pretty heavily edited lol

Not to mention a lot of the blur in the valentino one looks like it was all done in post. Its to perfect to be straight out of camera.

Because we already have the 18-55mm lens that will autofocus just fine for most purposes. We have the 50mm 1.8 because we want to shoot at 50mm 1.8 up to where the kit lens starts off at about 3.5. A lot of people use that lens ans their every day lens... Us D40 users don't. We use it as a specialty lens for shooting portraits and realtivly stationary subjects in low light or with really shallow DOF.

I use my 50mm 1.8 for shooting portraits at f/1.8 - 3.5. The subject isn't moving and with such a small DOF, I prefer to use manual focus anyway.

The only time I have ever felt limited by the autofocus using my 50mm 1.8 is when I've been trying to photograph my 16 mo old son running around indoors. He just moves too fast for me to focus on him. Sit him on a sled and take Christmas photos or take pictures of him in his high chair, or get pictures of him laying on the floor playing with his cars and the 50mm 1.8 works great.

Most reactions

Back