What kind of light bulbs should I use?

There are three things that control exposure. Shutter speed, aperture (size of the hole in the lens) and the sensitivity of the medium (ISO setting). If you change any one of these...without changing the other...you will change the exposure.

With an automatic (point & shoot) camera...the camera will decide these things for you. Even with a $10,000 DSLR...if you use auto mode...the camera will decide these things for you. The trouble is that the cameras don't know what they are shooting...or what you want it to look like.

So back to your question. If you just changed the shutter speed (to let in more light)...you would have to compensate by changing something else. The problem is that you don't want to set the shutter any slower...because that will cause blurriness from a) camera shake and/or b) subject movement.

So as an example...let say that we want to keep the shutter at 1/125. Any slower and we might get some blur...
If you set the camera to 'Tv' which is shutter priority...the camera will pick an aperture that will give you enough light for a normal exposure. Now if it's not very bright...the aperture will need to be big (low F number)...but there is a limit as to how big it can get. The maximum might be F3.5...and with continuous lights, indoors...the combination of F3.5 and 1/125 will probably not be enough to make your exposure. What about ISO you say?...well the next step would be to turn up your ISO...but the more you do that...the more digital noise you will get. A good DSLR is good but not great at ISO 800 (digi-cams are crap at ISO 400)...so you don't want to go any higher than that.

So in this case...we might be stuck. We don't want to go any slower than 1/125...the lens is at it's maximum F3.5 and the ISO is at 800...what do we do if we still can't get enough light for the exposure? One option is to use a 'faster' lens...that has a bigger maximum aperture...but a wider aperture will reduce our DOF (depth of field)...which we may not want...and even a bigger aperture still has a limit. The only other option would be to increase the power of the light....so that brings us back to why strobes are good...because they are so POWERFULL.

Sorry, was that too wordy? It's Friday and I want to go home :X

Mike, I love you.

I understand the basic concepts of what you're talking about, though as a newbie it's a little fuzzy because I'm still trying to process all the info and with that brings more questions...

but that was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May I ask if you recommend any certain digital camera? Right now, I have a Gateway DC-T50, 5 megapixel...

I was THINKING about upgrading to a Fuji S7000 finepix, but figured before I do that I need to do my research and learn the basics more.

So Mike, are you saying that even with a couple 500 watt continous lights, the setup would still leave a lot to be desired, compared to the strobe lighting?

Also curious if you checked that link I posted above, regarding the comparison of continous versus strobe? Just would love to hear your opinion on that, and it's a brief summary, so it's not hard at all to read.

http://alzodigital.com/photo_guide/c...s_vs_flash.htm

Starlite said:
Also curious if you checked that link I posted above, regarding the comparison of continous versus strobe? Just would love to hear your opinion on that, and it's a brief summary, so it's not hard at all to read.

http://alzodigital.com/photo_guide/c...s_vs_flash.htm
The problem is not that it is brief to read. The problem is that it would take 2 pages of typing to put it into proper perspective for you here.
And all that stuff has been written before. Which is the reason behind all the suggestions you read books and articles on the subject, Starlite.

W.Smith said:
The problem is not that it is brief to read. The problem is that it would take 2 pages of typing to put it into proper perspective for you here.
And all that stuff has been written before. Which is the reason behind all the suggestions you read books and articles on the subject, Starlite.

I love this attitude you got right here, it's so helpful for a newbie.

Let me ask you something - what's the purpose of a "beginner's forum" then????????? :confused:

I mean, if it's too much trouble for you to try to explain something, but yet you state that it "has been written before", then how about a link to where it has been written before? Is that too much trouble too???

Again, this is the basic of the basic here -

WHAT KIND OF LIGHT SHOULD I USE

If it's so much trouble for you to try to explain what a person should know, then why not do it once, and then have it pinned up somewhere, or have a link somewhere?

but instead, you say "go read up on it"...

well gee thanks, what is the purpose of this forum then.

I mean, if you don't want to help, or you're too busy or whatever, then why do you even take the time to say that. I'm sorry, but that sounds very foul to me. Not trying to be helpful at all.

I'm not lazy, and I'm willing to do whatever I have to do. But I don't think asking the most basic of the basics question, is something that should be too much for a beginner's forum, and ONCE AGAIN, do it once, and pin it up somewhere. :hail:

FOR EXAMPLE,

I just looked at the top of this forum, and at least there is ONE thread pinned up -

"After countless threads on what to choose, film or digital, and then what kind of film or digital camera I have decided to hopefully sum it all up into one thread that will be updated regularly."

Why not do the same with lighting?

All I'm asking is for a specific link, or specific post, IF it is too much trouble for someone to post here.

I mean, I am not a young person looking to be a professional photographer. If I was, I'd probably be reading DOZENS of books on the subject!

All I want to do, is do some basic research, and learn the BASICS (at this point).

I mean, I am not a young person looking to be a professional photographer. If I was, I'd probably be reading DOZENS of books on the subject!

All I want to do, is do some basic research, and learn the BASICS (at this point).

Go and get ONE basic photography book then. You can't expect someone to teach you personally, the basics of photography and lighting, on an internet forum, for free! :p

If you can't take the time to follow the advice that's being given here, and go get a book from your libary, how willing do you think people are going to be to spend their saturday night online writing a how to thread for you?

The beginners forum, and any subforum on this forum is meant to help people, sure, but not to train them from the ground up. Do some work on your own, and everyone here will be plenty willing to answer questions. Right now, you have so many questions, and very little base knowledge to work with, that we aren't getting anywhere. There's been tons of good advice and knowledge presented here already.

Oh, and by the way, that link you posted is a sales pitch from a continous lighting company. If you want peoples opinions on continuous vs strobe, just read this very thread. It's been stated many times over.

There are so many different factors to weigh and so many different opinions that you aren't going to get "just a basic answer". Part of the problem is knowing the right questions to ask. Getting a solid foundation in exposure (shutter/aperture/ISO) is necessary before you start asking questions about artificial light set-ups, or you won't really be able to understand the answers.

It's not that people don't want to help, but as Matt said, you have to do most of the work yourself.

markc said:
There are so many different factors to weigh and so many different opinions that you aren't going to get "just a basic answer". Part of the problem is knowing the right questions to ask. Getting a solid foundation in exposure (shutter/aperture/ISO) is necessary before you start asking questions about artificial light set-ups, or you won't really be able to understand the answers.

It's not that people don't want to help, but as Matt said, you have to do most of the work yourself.

All I'm asking for, is a specific reference then, to a very BASIC question!

I'm not asking to be "trained from the ground up".... yes I may ask some questions, but the base of my question is what kind of lighting should I use. THATS IT!!!!!!

Jeez it's like you guys are afraid that somebody's gonna learn something and give you some competition or something! :confused:

First off, I was talking to Big Mike, and wanted to get HIS take on that link. It could just be a one sentence answer from him, just wanted to get his take, because that company said something things very contrary to what some have said here....

THEN, "Will" says that "these things have already been talked about on this forum"...............

ok, well how about pinning up the post then, or providing a link to where it's been talked about?

There is a post at the top of this forum that has been pinned up, on another basic question (what kind of camera to get), so I don't see how I'm asking for something so outrageous, and FRANKLY speaking? I don't like the attitude and comments insinuating that I am being lazy, or don't want to do work to research.... reason being because that's not true.

I'm just trying to get off the ground, and once I do, then maybe I will be able to share too and give back!

By the way, if any of you are in the LA area, I will PAY you for your time if you would spend a few hours showing me the basics! I will offer $50 for an hour. :hail:

Digital Matt said:
Oh, and by the way, that link you posted is a sales pitch from a continous lighting company. If you want peoples opinions on continuous vs strobe, just read this very thread. It's been stated many times over.

Matt, that company sells STROBE as well as continuous lighting.

Matt, I'm going to go to a bookstore tommorrow, and checkout the book you recommended, as well as the others that are there. I'm going to see which one might be the easiest or most simple for a beginner, and maybe I'll get TWO.

If I spouted off and I'm being obnoxious, I apologize to you and everyone.

I really do appreciate the feedback that has already been given, and I thought about it and I'm starting to see your point.

Thank you very much for your patience.

I DO plan to share very soon, as I get going. I'm sure you'll at least have a good laugh, once I post up my first photos! :greenpbl:

I have just read this entire thread.

I, too, am not a young person / although not yet old.
I, too, am just starting to work with a basic film camera (Nikon FM-10).
I, too, know very little about lighting, and am interested in finding information.
I, too, signed up for this forum, hoping to get some hints and tips to try and evaluate.
I, too, looked to ebay for continuous lighting, thinking that would be a good way to light subjects.

I have read a couple of books, and find them woefully lacking in explaining the information I feel I need to make decisions related to equipment.

Starlite, I appreciate your presistence in getting to some answers. Thank you.

To the other posters ... thank you ... your attempts to answer Starlite's questions, I think, are based upon the supposition of information. But, I have no frame of reference to understand what you are attempting to convey. I think most of your answers are going way over my head, because you assume I have more knowledge than I do.

At this point in my life ... the only thing I think I am going to be doing with my camera is to take pictures at my karate studio; portraits of students after promotion ceremonies, not action shots. In these pictures, I turn my camera 90 degrees. The top mounted flash places a sharp shadown to the side of the subject. I want to eliminate that shadow.

I understand, that it will be best to have a flash (or two) not mounted to the top of my camera for these photos.

So I have made progress ... now to figure out how to do that ....

Mike

All I'm asking for, is a specific reference then, to a very BASIC question!

I'm not asking to be "trained from the ground up".... yes I may ask some questions, but the base of my question is what kind of lighting should I use. THATS IT!!!!!!

Jeez it's like you guys are afraid that somebody's gonna learn something and give you some competition or something! :confused:

First off, I was talking to Big Mike, and wanted to get HIS take on that link. It could just be a one sentence answer from him, just wanted to get his take, because that company said something things very contrary to what some have said here....

THEN, "Will" says that "these things have already been talked about on this forum"...............

ok, well how about pinning up the post then, or providing a link to where it's been talked about?

There is a post at the top of this forum that has been pinned up, on another basic question (what kind of camera to get), so I don't see how I'm asking for something so outrageous, and FRANKLY speaking? I don't like the attitude and comments insinuating that I am being lazy, or don't want to do work to research.... reason being because that's not true.

I'm just trying to get off the ground, and once I do, then maybe I will be able to share too and give back!

By the way, if any of you are in the LA area, I will PAY you for your time if you would spend a few hours showing me the basics! I will offer $50 for an hour. :hail:

Seems like I've read about 20 times now that the consensus is to use strobe lights for what you want to accomplish but that is not what you want to hear. You have bought cheaper lighting and want to be told a way to make it perform as good as the proper equipment and I don't think it's going to happen. It's also been stated that this subject has been broached a number of times before and you want someone else to do the reference work for you to find it. There is a search on this site and you would probably be surprised what you could come up with if you utilized this function.

Dick

Most reactions

New Topics

Back