What kind of money can you make being a photographer?

1) If you work with photography then you are working not playing. Its means more time working on devlivery of shots, post production editing, getting your name out, meeting clients - very little of your time is (comparativly speaking) spent on photographing
There's a saying that once a hobby becomes a job, it's no longer about having fun. Because a hobby is something you choose to do, but a job is something you have to do.

1) If you work with photography then you are working not playing. Its means more time working on devlivery of shots, post production editing, getting your name out, meeting clients - very little of your time is (comparativly speaking) spent on photographing
There's a saying that once a hobby becomes a job, it's no longer about having fun. Because a hobby is something you choose to do, but a job is something you have to do.

Have to say that all those things are true. Personally photography is my life. I would not have it any other way. You will find that if you love the art; marketing and mailers and pissy clients is a small price to pay for working in the field. Fun is a relative term. Beats sitting behind a desk for 8 hours.

Love & Bass

So that's something you guys heard huh?

To reiterate the sentiments of numerous others the question becomes: do you want to be a photographer or do you want to be a business person? Most people can't do both; JodieO is the obvious exception that proves the rule.

I don't want to be a businessman. I suck at it because I'm just not a people person. So that also leaves out portraits and weddings, which is where the vast bulk of photography income lies.

I'd also rather be spending my time making photographic art rather than writing up contracts, managing accounts, meeting with clients,

The ideal ways you can make an actual living on photography are:
  • You're a good photographer and a good business person (good luck with that).
  • You have enough business that you can afford to hire someone to manage the business end of things for you, leaving more time and energy for you to put towards the actual photography (though, this would probably require you to be your own business person to actually get to this point).
  • You manage to get enough people to your website and enough of those people interested in buying prints (you must be pretty dang good at this photography thing, have something very unique to offer, have good advertising and good search engine rankings)

I'm hoping I can eventually make it to the third category. Clients could do everything through my website and all I have to do is send off the prints; and occasionally, I might cover an event or do portraits here and there to stay sharp, but I won't necessarily advertise myself for those sorts of things.

At least for now, I'm happy to slowly fund the hobby with the occasional person interested in prints or copies.

I think the key thing is that the money in photography is in key areas - weddings, portrait, etc... and if those areas are not your interest areas then even though your working with a camera its not going to be as fun as when your working in your interest areas.
Another important thing is to remember that the money in photography is not always in the photos side of things - infact you can make a considerable amount without having to take many photos at all and that is the teaching side of things. IF your good in an area (art, landscape, wildlife, sports, portrait etc....) then you can start workshops, tutorials and such to earn an income off. Speaking to other widlife photogrpahers this is often their main income source - not the photos themselves.

I think to rely on a website only and have no other form of marketing or such would be many peoples ideal setup (nice simple and easy - especaily if you do printing and orders through an online printing lab) but in the real world you would have to have three things for this to work;

1) outstanding photos
2) photos that are in demand - there is little demand for shots of insect faces - there is a lot more commercial demand for nice landscapes
3) everything else -- luck - hard work - good advertising - some good prices

I think running gallery exhibitions and craft fairs can be a very good way to get your name out - make sales and advertise yourself as well.

One can also earn from photography by putting up a website (and put ads, affiliates etc.) I just launched my website early this year and fortunately, my profits are picking up and doing good. You can also look into doing tutorials and sell them.

Cheers!

Captain Kimo

Nobody on here has talked about photojournalism which is the route I took. The pay isn't in the six figures, at least for the full-time, working for the man, part of the job, but when you include a successful freelance side career shooting weddings, portraits, products, etc. you can get up that high no problem.

I like photojournalism because I get to shoot things that most people don't have access to, see world events up close and in person, and be a part of the action. Plus, shooting breaking news brings a rush that cannot be described in words.

With that said, it's a route that takes hard work, dedication, and a willingness to compete in a very cutthroat environment. You have to be willing to push the limits every step of the way if you're going to make it. Most people who come to me and ask if they should become a photojournalist don't understand the difficult nature of the path. But, I always tell them, that there is always room for one more shooter if they are talented enough to compete.

I suppose commercial work of one type or another is essential to survival. For me, the trick is to do as little as possible for money and to do what I love as much as possible.

I believe if I pursue money, money will consume me. If I am consumed by money, where will the room for me be? So far having faith that things will work out for me has worked out for me. Money has its place, but is not the priority.

"All I want is what I need. If I have everything I need, why would I want more?"
Mojave Indian saying

I do realize my little philosophy couldn't work for everyone- but I'm not everyone.

How much can you make?- How much do you want it? There should be some kind of chart somewhere.

It seems that the best money is in selling Tupperware to photographers that can't/don't/won't understand the inverse square law. :lmao::lol::lol::lmao:
OMG. ROTFLMAO. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This is a good site I came across to make some extra cash posting your pictures.
PhotoArtMuseum. The coolest thing is...you can post your items for free.

Hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day!

Will

True, but there is no rule that says that you cannot have fun and totally enjoy what you do for a living/carreer.

I think that if you are having so much fun and REALLY enjoying what you do professionally, you may be working, but it sure doesn't feel like it. :)

The line is that when you do it professionally, you have firm commitments to yourself, your customers and the government... and if you can handle that part, the rest is cake.

I believe Carlos Serrao Carlos Serrao – Photographer had an annual contract with Nike for $2 million for at least a couple years. It's no different than asking if someone can make money selling homes. Yes you can if you are the right person for the job. Business school and assisting other photographers will be a good start. Also don't spend to much time on forums like this they don't really offer that much in the way of real knowledge. I found books to be a much better place to learn along with practice.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back