what kind of printers do you have?

blooper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ive been in the market for a large format printer for a bit. im kinda interested in hearing what kind of printers you guys have at home or office.

ive been hearing alot about the canon i9000(?) and some epson printers. not sure which is the better deal tho.

what im looking for is something thatll print large borderless images up to 20inches. seperate ink cartridges would be nice too.

I have the Canon i9900 which is last years large format printer... and my girlfriend has the HP8713...both are great printers... both work real well...

I have been using an Epson R1800 for a couple of months now and continue to be impressed with the quality of prints, I chose this printer after reading so many good user reviews and discovering that there was paper profiles on the site that I could use with Photoshop. Also the drivers under Windows are excellent, and the drivers under the Mac or not bad but they do not give you the cartridge level readings like you get under Windows :(

yea.. those three are the most recommended that ive been getting since ive started creating large scale images. ive been hearing that hte epson 2200 literally drinks the ink. havent heard too many negative reports on the i9900 except price. but yea, im torn between those and am having a hard time deciding which will be the one i want. i have to get one by the end of this year, i have a portfolio review coming soon, so ill need some printed work to show.

Canon i9950 here... prints borderless A3 photos and the quality is superb. Bit hard on the ink cartridges though, of which there are 8 if I remember correctly; however I do use it a hell of a lot for glossy graphic type presentations for university, so I'm probably just getting through ink more rapidly than most.

Epson RX700. Great printer with a 3200 dpi optical resolution scanner built in.

LWW

That isn't a wide format printer really, although it will do 8.5 X (XX) with roll paper.

LWW

Epson 2100 (2200 European equivalent). Have it over a year, on its second lot of inks and it dies, i'm the mainboard just died, and the costs to replace is too expensive. Epson after sales in UK / Ireland is terrible, they were no help whatsover, basically because 365 days + had lapse they were not interested. Even though it is only on its second lot of inks. TEch called today, gave me a replacement 2100 for £200, brand new but refurbishment. Total cost £340 including vat plus call out charge. Man Im so annoyed at Epson, they just dont want to know you if your over the 365 days, evven after spending £800+ on the printer originally

Most of the printers mentioned will only do up to 13" on the short side. If you want to do 20", you'll have to spend a lot more on the larger printers that have the plotter style body. They will do 24" and 44".

well, anything bigger than the standard letter size is fine with me at the moment. does the canon i9900 have seperate ink cartridges for each color?

I use the Epson R1800 and it is fantastic, takes a bit of calibration but once you get the colors down it prints high quality photos. I would imagine the Canon has separtae ink tanks.. I would avoid any printer without separate ink tanks, I find I replace ink cartriges at different times, rarely will they all run out at once.

I use a HP Designjet 110 plus. I love it. It lets me print on media up to 24" that come on these rolls so I can print them to what ever lenght I choose, also it can handle up to 80 lb paper so printing posters are a breeze!

Just got an Epson 9880 Colorburst Edition...although I haven't yet familiarized myself with everything, the preliminary prints are truly amazing! The plotter was easy to setup (a bit heavy) and is easy to install on a network. The speed is also very impressive.

7800 here. Epson rules the inkjet market right now, and for good reason. Don't go Canon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back