What kit should I get?

MuffinPrincess

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Me and my boyfriend have recently got into photography in a big way (recently, meaning 7 months) and we're trying to get some decent kit. So far, I've got everything 2nd hand from Jessops as I work there and get a hefty discount on everything, especially 2nd hand stuff. We have a Canon Eos 50E, a Tamron 28mm-80mm lens, a Canon 75mm-300mm USM lens and a Sigma 400mm lens and we're trying to decide what to go for next!

He wants to save up for a 10D whereas I think it's our priority to get a faster lens as so far, the fastest one we've got is about f3.5 I think, the next one being f5.6. I really want a wide lens (preferably 18mm) with f2.8, and he wants a long one (170mm-500mm.....) as fast as possible too. So we've got three choices about where to go next and we don't know where our priority lies! He really wants to get into cycling photos, so I'm trying to tell him he needs a faster lens before he gets a 10D because he's keen to get sharp pictures with no blurring and he's not going to get that with f5.6!

I take pictures of everything and haven't discovered my niche yet. I particularly like flowers and insects so I'm looking for a good macro lens too, I also enjoy architecture and am slowly getting into the cycling thing. So, we can go anywhere from here I suppose, what would you do??? :D

It's a judgement call. You can't go wrong with good glass. You have a good camera. On the other hand, if you are shooting lots of frames a digital will pay for itself with savings on processing. Oh what to do!

What do you need a faster lens for? What do you shoot? If you are shooting outdoors, there's no need to spend money on one or two extra stops. For landscapes you'll want to stop down past f/8 anyway.

if you are into cycling a faster lens will only help if you are in lower light or if they are really moving fast

Hello MuffinPrincess

* tripod

* shutter release cable

* hand flash

... the best you can afford and in that order

Enjoy!

:)

e_

Thanks for all the advice everyone! We *do* need a tripod and I think we're going to try and get a new Velbon one which is out, we can get it for about £60 instead of £200 as I work in a camera shop and get a discount.

As for paying for processing, taking many rolls of film is not a problem as I get free processing at work :wink:

20D, middle of October you say? We've still got a 6 week waiting list on the 10D at work, we STILL don't keep them in stock they're that much in demand! Blimey.

We do need a fast lens for the cycling, as when we're standing just a few feet away from them and they're going over 30mph, it's difficult to get sharp pictures; especially when it's me and I'm not very experienced! LoL :D But yeah, will take on board your suggestions, thanks! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back