what lens do i need?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by franks, Dec 31, 2006.

1. franks

franks TPF Noob!

i have a question about what lens i need for my olympus evolt 500. i am a beginner that has had a break in the fact that i got a photographers job quickly without looking for one. but my problem is that it is shooing race cars at night. i think i need a low F- number but i dont know for sure. any imput would be nice

2. Mr Tripod

Mr Tripod TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The F number isn't the only thing to be considered but also film speed here. Say prehaps 400 ASA to 800 ASA?. Sports shots are prefered with little less sharpnes by the sports industry maganizes as it's shows movement / action. A good 150 mm to 200mm lens with an appereuture say of 2.8 or one above will be ok.

my preference would be a 200mm lens set at 2.8 for maximum light, or a higher F number depending what you want to acheive?

My opinion only.

3. franks

franks TPF Noob!

i got the zuiko lens kit with it and it was so shaky with the speed of the cars moving that it made me dizzy. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Olym...36561/catOid/-13062/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    this was the kit i bought, these cars are fast and its not picking up good, i have examples
    these are during the day before it got dark
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    these are at night

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    lol, the last 4 are awsome.

5. franks

franks TPF Noob!

yeah, i need some imput to make them right

6. pulpmojo

pulpmojo TPF Noob!

yeah you definately need a fast lens for this type of work (along with a fast iso) and seeing that you're so close to the action, a relatively inexpensive 50mm ( f/1.4 or f/1.8 ) will probably do the trick (you should check to see what focal length you're using on your kit lens first to make sure). As for now, a little panning will help on some of those shots.

7. franks

franks TPF Noob!

thanks, what is panning? im new to this and may not catch all first round. and the bigger # on the iso faster or slower?

how do i check the focal lenght?

8. boclcown

boclcown TPF Noob!

What did you set your iso to? It might help to post the specs of each shot, if you still have them (the apature, shutter speed, iso, etc.).