What lens do you use at the park?

Hardrock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I went to the aboretum to take some family pictures with my Canon XT 50mm f1.4 , 100mm f2.8, and 430 exII. After reviewing a couple hunderd pictures the pictures were just ok. I used the 100mm for headshots (which is a lot sharper than the 50mm) and the 50 for waist up and full length shots. The pictures just turned out ok, Im at work so cant post any examples. I used the 430 for fill flash due to it was very overcast day. So what lens do you guys use or recommend and what tips would you have for taking outdoor shots. Thnaks!

:addpics:

no, I know you mentioned you can't cause you're at work, but yeah..

anyway, The two lenses you used are great... was there something in particular that you were limited by when taking the images? because those two lenses are fabulous.

Most likely if the shots are just "ok" it's not with the lens... just a thought.

Obviously it's hard to respond without seeing your shots. However, my thinking has been that overcast days are the times when I do not need fill flash. The natural lighting is soft and smooth. I use fill flash to fill in the harsh shadows that result from bright sun. That's what I like about New Jersey - it's always overcast!

:addpics:

no, I know you mentioned you can't cause you're at work, but yeah..

anyway, The two lenses you used are great... was there something in particular that you were limited by when taking the images? because those two lenses are fabulous.

Most likely if the shots are just "ok" it's not with the lens... just a thought.

Yeah I will post some tonight. It seemed like the 50 just wasnt sharp and almost seemed blurry. Im sure Its most likely user error and poor composition.

Yeah post. What's so MEH about them? Your skill will limit your abilities, not your lens. Keep trying 'til you get it right!

The 50mm is soft compared to the 100mm 2.8 (you're using the macro one right?) because the 100 is super super sharp. What aperture were you using on the 50mm? That lens can go soft due to the focusing not being done correctly when it's used at the lower F numbers. Sometimes you have to focus more than once if your subject is moving or you're not using a tripod. For sharper images, stop down the lens to about 2.8-3.

I don't know if I would say the 50 1.4 is soft... maybe at 1.4 it's softer than stopped down, but usually an excellent job.

Based off of what you've said I too would guess you got screwed up with the fill flash, and or composition errors.

The 50mm is soft compared to the 100mm 2.8 (you're using the macro one right?) because the 100 is super super sharp. What aperture were you using on the 50mm? That lens can go soft due to the focusing not being done correctly when it's used at the lower F numbers. Sometimes you have to focus more than once if your subject is moving or you're not using a tripod. For sharper images, stop down the lens to about 2.8-3.

I believe I mostly used f3.5 and f4. I did not use a tripod.

Ahh ok I read 50mm 1.8 which can be soft if not focused correctly. I have no experience with 1.4 so can't guesstimate anything about issues with your 1.4.

That's what I like about New Jersey - it's always overcast!
:delete:

Regarding your location...
There is no "Western New Jersey." The damned state is too small. There's the northern (NYC) part and the southern (Philadelphia) part but no eastern or western parts.

That's what I like about New Jersey - it's always overcast!
:delete:

There is no "Western New Jersey." The damned state is too small. There's the northern (NYC) part and the southern (Philadelphia) part but no eastern or western parts.

Isn't New Jersey the name for the tunnel that connects NYC and Philly?:lmao: (j/k ... I have a place in Little Egg Harbor)

Isn't New Jersey the name for the tunnel that connects NYC and Philly?:lmao: (j/k ... I have a place in Little Egg Harbor)

It's the only state that does not have a VHF (2-13) television channel. There's no room because of potential interference with nearby stations outside of New Jersey. NYC has seven VHF channels, Philly has four and Doylestown, PA has the remaining one. That meant that, prior to the introduction of UHF, New Jersey had NO television stations.

These were probally the best 3 pictures.
1.f4.0 1/1000 (50mm lens) My wife and daughter. They seem a little soft.
monandem.jpg

2.f3.5 1/2000 (100mm macro f2.8 lens) Grandma and Emily. possibly the dof/focus is off?
nanaandem.jpg

3.f4 1/250 (50mm lens) Me and the girls.
family.jpg

I guess they just seem a little soft. So what suggestions do you guys have after looking at these?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back