What lens do you use for everyday events?

Aakajx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was wondering what lens would be good for a canon for everyday use?

I want to get a lens I can use taking pictures of my children in the yard, park, out at tea, school events and family functions. Just a lens that I don't need to swap and change alot.

What camera do you have?

A 35mm is always good, so is a medium rang zoom.

There is no such thing.

ATM I have a oldie 300d canon.. But I'm wanting to upgrade to a 6 or 7d canon.

If you are shooting FX, then a 24mm-70mm would and could be a everyday versatile lens..

I want to get a lens I can use taking pictures of my children in the yard, park, out at tea, school events and family functions. Just a lens that I don't need to swap and change alot.

I know you don't want to here this but there is no one lens for everything. They make different lenses for a reason.

For kids in the park a medium zoom with focal length would be fine and because your in daylight you won't need a extremely wide aperture.
For a school event your young to need a longer zoom because you cannot get real close to what you want to shoot, you are also going to want a wider aperture because you are inside and there is not as much light.
When out for tea you are in a smaller space so you will want a wider lens and agin your probably inside so you will want a nice wide aperture.

I have never seen one lens that will be really good for all of those situations. If there was a lens that went from really wide to super zoom and had a nice fixed wide aperture it would be a vary expensive lens.

And that brings up another point. What is your budget?

For some of the situations the OP mentions nether a 50 or a 24-70 would be ideal. Nether are extremely wide and nether have a nice long focal length.

Are you questioning my questionable statistics?

This is subjective..Ask most any professional photographer which is their go to lens, or most used lens.24mm-70mm usually fits the bill.

For a crop-frame Canon, how about the relatively new Canon EF 15-85mm zoom? I've heard that it is one of their best zooms for APS-C bodies.

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EF Lens Lineup

Canon's faster-aperture 17-55mm f/2.8 is similar in price, but has a shorter range, BUT counterbalancing that it is f/2.8 wide-open throughout the entire focal length range.

Right now for every day use I use a canon 17-40 f/4 L. It's an awesome lens and is great for indoor up close shooting when oh are with friends and family especially on a crop body.

Another option but would be more expensive is a 24-70 f/2.8. Or an older 28-70 f/2.8.

I don't think you can do any better than a Sigma 18-250mm macro. I've taken many, many photos indoors and outside with mine and it is excellent for the purposes you describe. It has a great stability system so it's easy to hand hold. The 18mm end will allow indoor photos and you can take candid photos from a distance at 250mm. It's a macro so it will focus close too. It doesn't cost much either. In my experience it's by far the best all purpose choice for spontaneous, candid photography. You'll probably never have to change it out for another lens unless you start doing wildlife photography.

Most reactions

Back