What lens for a zoo visit?

Irminsul

'The Column of Heaven'
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Now that the Miami weather is (slowly) improving for outdors photography, I'm planning a half-day visit to the local zoo to take some photos of the residents there. The thing is, I have no 200 or 300mm zoom lenses. The best I have for the intended purpose are a Canon 85 f/1.8 and a 28-105mm f/3.5. Any suggestions about a good lens that I could get for the zoo visit, or will the 105mm end of the zoom lens prove acceptable? :confused:

the last time i went to the zoo i took my 70-200mm and it was barely long enough. it did the job, but it would have been nice to have say a 100-400mm. thats what i'd recommend. take some filters cause you might have to shoot through glass etc

If you only take one then take the zoom.

At the zoo I use an 80-200 zoom and a WA lens.

With digital that equals a 120-300...but I seldom used the extreme zoom end.

LWW

In the spring I plan on going to the zoo and I'm sure glad I have my 75-300 to go with me.

You might as well go over-prepared than not prepared at all.

Once there you will find that you long for a long lens, so I would always suggest you bring the zoom lens that you have. Though I must say that a 1.8 lens does not sound too bad, either! You can always crop your photos later, and I assume a 1.8 prime lens will give you so much clarity that cropping shouldn't be a problem.

Like CopenKagan says: to be over-prepared is always better than to be not prepared. I'd bring ALL the lenses and change if need be.

All wise and informed replies. Thank you all. I will make a point of taking a WA filter, as recommended (as soon as I get one). I'm also getting a 70-300 lens, just to make sure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back