What lens should I get next?

lostnfound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I'm a bit of a newbie here. Anyways, I purchased a Canon Rebel XS in May and I eventually got the 50mm f/1.8 II lens. I've found that both the kit and prime lenses were excellent for a beginner and I've been able to take wonderful portraits of friends and family. I've been saving up money to buy an additional accessory for my camera, such as another lens or maybe a flash attachment.

In general, the main type of photography I do are indoor/outdoor portraits (mostly with natural lighting during the day). I'm looking for something that could enhance my portraits. I could get a better prime lens, but I think I'd like something that could potentially replace the kit lens I have. Any thoughts? I'd prefer to have a lens that can autofocus with my XS.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum.

What is your budget and are you looking for a big step up from your current gear?

A great replacement for your kit lens would be the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS, but it costs more than your camera.

Many people like to shoot portraits with longer lenses because they tend to flatten people's features rather than distort them. A fairly common portrait lens would be one of the Canon 70-200mm lenses...the best one being the EF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS.

For portraits, a longer lens at f/2.8 would help. The most flattering perspective for portraits requires the photographer to be 12-15 feet from the subject. A longer lens will allow you to get headshots from that range.

In general, the main type of photography I do are indoor/outdoor portraits (mostly with natural lighting during the day). I'm looking for something that could enhance my portraits.
A speedlight, Cactus radio trigger set, umbrella, light stand, and umberella bracket and a 42" 5-in1 reflector. All for use inside and outside.

Umbrella Bracket : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298709-REG/Impact_3117_Umbrella_Bracket.html
Light Stand: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/253069-REG/Impact_LS_96HAB_Air_Cushioned_Heavy_Duty_Light.html
Umbrella: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423625-REG/Impact_UBBW45_45_Convertible_Umbrella.html
42" 5-in-1 reflector: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/358608-REG/Impact_R1142_5_in_1_Reflector_Disc_.html

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

What is your budget and are you looking for a big step up from your current gear?

A great replacement for your kit lens would be the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS, but it costs more than your camera.

Many people like to shoot portraits with longer lenses because they tend to flatten people's features rather than distort them. A fairly common portrait lens would be one of the Canon 70-200mm lenses...the best one being the EF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS.

For portraits, a longer lens at f/2.8 would help. The most flattering perspective for portraits requires the photographer to be 12-15 feet from the subject. A longer lens will allow you to get headshots from that range.

Thanks for the lens suggestions. I don't have a budget; I just want to see what options I have, and I'll go from there. But I do prefer something that is somewhat affordable. What do you guys think about Tamron or Sigma lenses? They seem to be affordable...

In general, the main type of photography I do are indoor/outdoor portraits (mostly with natural lighting during the day). I'm looking for something that could enhance my portraits.
A speedlight, Cactus radio trigger set, umbrella, light stand, and umberella bracket and a 42" 5-in1 reflector. All for use inside and outside.

Umbrella Bracket : Impact | Umbrella Bracket | 3117 | B&H Photo Video
Light Stand: Impact | Air-Cushioned Heavy Duty Light Stand - | LS-96HAB | B&H
Umbrella: Impact | 45" Convertible Umbrella | UBBW45 | B&H Photo Video
42" 5-in-1 reflector: Impact | 5-in-1 Reflector Disc - 42" | R1142 | B&H Photo

Thanks KmH, but all that seems a little complicated for me; I don't necessarily want to be a professional portrait photographer and also, I'd like my setup be simple.

I have to agree with Mike. one of the 70-200 f/2.8 L varients is a lens that should end up in everyones kit and then I would replace the kit lens with the 24-70 f/2.8 L.

The OP is gonna learn that the body is the throw away and good glass is king.

That said, there is some really affordable glass out there that when used with some skill have the ability to be very sharp and produce astonishing photos. Canon's 70-300 IS USM is one of them.

Okay, so I think I'm going to get a Speedlite, instead of a new lens (for now). Currently, it is more affordable for me. Perhaps, in a few months I can save enough money for one of the lenses recommended earlier.

Ok with no budget? Here's what I have (I do weddings/portrait photography)
Canon 5D Mark 2 body using:
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 "L"
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 "L" IS (IS is very important in my opinion)
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 "L"

The 85mm has a non-"L" version that works great too for portraits but I'd say pick up the 70-200mm f/2.8 "L" IS if budget isnt an issue.

Umbrella Bracket : Impact | Umbrella Bracket | 3117 | B&H Photo Video
Light Stand: Impact | Air-Cushioned Heavy Duty Light Stand - | LS-96HAB | B&H
Umbrella: Impact | 45" Convertible Umbrella | UBBW45 | B&H Photo Video
42" 5-in-1 reflector: Impact | 5-in-1 Reflector Disc - 42" | R1142 | B&H Photo

This is correct... So many people who want to improve their portraits focus so much on the camera + lens but forget that lighting is IMO MORE important than the lens. You already have a good optic: 50mm f/1.8.

Strobist << reading

Strobist 2 light kits << strobist kits for students and amateurs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back