What lens should i rent

kmlazerith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey all, first I would like to thank you in advance for all the help.

I have a photo shoot that someone asked me to do for them and im not quite sure what lens to rent.

I have a nikon D50.

I am wanting a portrait type lens with a good depth of field to be used shooting outdoors just prior to sunset. It needs to be a good combo for up close shots where the face will take up the full frame and also good for about 20-30 feet away.

I am limited on my choice to rent from this location.. Here is the link,
Rental Nikon Auto-Focus Lenses

Thanks so much!!

Nikkor 70-200 F/2.8 for sure...Nikkor 85mm F/1.4... Sigma 50mm F/1.4.

Rent these lenses several days in advance before using them. Each has demands that the other doesn't and if you do not know how to use these lenses or have not practiced with them in the past... your results will be mediocre.

While Tempe Camera is a great place to rent (I used to rent there myself when I lived in the Phoenix area), there are several other places available online, and they all are much less expensive than renting from a walk-in store. Plus, the online places don't force you to put the full value of the lens on your credit card as a deposit.

What JerryPH said is absolutely true....practice makes perfect, so it definitely makes sense to rent it a few days in advance. A paid shoot is the last place you want to be learning how to use equipment! ;)

I think the 70-200 f/2.8 would be a good choice if you've got the space to work with it. If you're outdoors, you probably do. If space is a consideration, I'd also recommend the 24-70 f/2.8. It is a stellar lens and on your D50 would give you a really great choice of focal lengths.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

Last edited:
I agree with jerry, a 50mm f/1.4, 85 is a bit long for me for general use outside of headshot portraits.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back