**What lens should i use for modeling pictures?**

add1ct

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry i had a topic in mind and i realized i had more questions after and forgot to change the title

My friend wants me to do a photoshoot for his new clothing line since i offered to do it free. I had a few questions on how i should i approach this type of project? i will be using a Nikon D40x.
  1. What lens should i use? Something affordable
  2. A real studio is out of the question for now. What's a good alternative for where i should do the shoot?
  3. What adjustments with the camera should i make to get the best possible shots of the models?
  4. Is a blanket a good alternative for a backdrop?
  5. How should the lighting be for this type of project
First of all i'd like the first question answered first since the photoshoot is tomorrow and i need to get the lens asap.

As to the other questions, umm... anyplace where you can control lighting is good.natural lighting is best, maybe a room of your house with a big window or even a sliding glass door. Just try not to mix sunlight and normal house lights, as they have a different color temperature, as for settings, do you have a tripod? if not i would say try to keep the aperture at a pretty low number, maybe 5.6 and try to keep the shutter speed decent as to reduce shake. should be able to keep it at 250th of a second with good light. You can always use your in camera light meter, but its not always accurate. You might want to stick with an a or s setting and adjust the aperture or shutter only and let the camera adjust the other for you if your not sure. As for lighting, as i said its best to use natural light, but if you have to use indoor lights, make sure you adjust white balance as most lights are a tungsten light (give off an orange/amberish color. Just try to make sure there are no really dark shadows on the subject, be especially watchful if its a person watch the eyes (under them and just above them under the socket for shadows, and under the nose and chin are also prone to shadows.

should i use flash? i was also thinking of picking up the sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 macro lens for this shoot. also backdrops. what should i use as an alternative? blankets?

get a 50mm. With the crop factor, you're lookin at 80mm, and that's about where a portrait looks good.

Plus, you can get a fast lens for cheaper.

Natural lighting would be awesome, but sometimes it's not always perfect. You can use your onboard flash if you have to (since I'm guessing you don't have anything expensive), but probably would be better to use exposure compensation and put it a stop or two down, just for some fill.

get a 50mm. With the crop factor, you're lookin at 80mm, and that's about where a portrait looks good.

Plus, you can get a fast lens for cheaper.

Natural lighting would be awesome, but sometimes it's not always perfect. You can use your onboard flash if you have to (since I'm guessing you don't have anything expensive), but probably would be better to use exposure compensation and put it a stop or two down, just for some fill.

so thats a no on the sigma 18-50mm lens?

is it an on camera like pop up flash or flash gun? blankets would be ok, or just a big piece of poster board. Just try to keep it smooth.

is it an on camera like pop up flash or flash gun? blankets would be ok, or just a big piece of poster board. Just try to keep it smooth.

yeah camera has pop up flash.

so thats a no on the sigma 18-50mm lens?
I don't Know anything about that particular lens, but the zoom range seems like it is right where you want it.

These shots are to show off the clothing, right? the 18-50 would probably be a fine choice because you will be needing some wider full body shots.

The 50mm 1.8 is a very nice lens and its less than $100, the only issue I see with using it is if you are in a smallish room you may not be able to get far enough back from your subject for some wider shots, but I don,t know if that is an issue for you at all.

If you have the money, get the 50 f1.8 anyway its would be great just to have on hand.

50mm 1.8 is a great lens, but you would have to manual focus it

i actually prefer manual focus as opposed to auto focus

wow you must be a really good friend to do it for free. some friends of mine asked me to do the same and i thought yeah ill do it for nothing. 8 hours total shooting and 12 hours editing some 800 images lately and we decided to negotiate a price lol.i just hope for your sake its a small clothing line

Most reactions

New Topics

Back