What lens to buy?

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by jrwillden, May 21, 2008.

1. jrwillden

jrwillden TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My skill level falls somewhere between beginner & intermediate. I prefer film over digital although at times I do shoot both. I use a simple Maxxum HTsi Plus and a Kodak EasyShare Z712 IS. One day I will upgrade and get really serious when my children allow me more "free" time.

I love to shoot candid photos and especially children so I love the telephoto lens to hide from my subjects while keeping the frame full. But I find myself regularly switching between the telephoto and my Tamron 28-80mm (which just recently broke).

I have been asked to take wedding photos for my brother in law. I've only shot one other wedding (last minute and not with ANY equipment but a Kodak 80mm-210mm telephoto lens) so my experience is limited. I want to upgrade my lens and flash but am not sure what route to take.

I'm looking at a Tamron 28-200mm Super AF F/3.8-5.6 lens. Would anyone recommend this for my style and experience.

I also need a flash (but prefer not a wireless) any recommendations?

2. christopher walrath

christopher walrath No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good choice for the lens and look at the dedicated Promaster flashes. Less buck than Metz and Sunpak and you can get hot shoe mount modules for most recent camera systems.