What lens woud you pair with the D700?

Parkerman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright. So I plan to one day purchase a D700 and accessories... This may be afew months to a year from now, But it is what I have decided that I want. It's a little bit of an overkill but thats what I want.. So I'm not left wanting... Just learning.

I currently use a D40 with the basic lenses, 1.8 50mm, 18-55mm kit, 55-200mm vr, and the 60mm af-s macro lens. Soon I am going to buy the Tamron 17-55mm 2.8.

None of those lens are up to par with the D700 so I will also be purchasing some nice glass with the body... Which is where I need some suggestions on. I plan to be doing alot of senior portrait style pictures and such.. Just to give a better idea.

I'm open to anything really.. new.. used.. just whatever... but I would greatly appreciate suggestions. My budget when buying everything will probably be from $4,000-4,500... All really depending on what price I can find the body at that point in time.

Thanks in advance.

- Parker

Easy - 24-70 f/2.8

lens for portrait? how bout the Nikkor 105mm F/2.5. you can find one in excellent shape for about 250-350 on ebay and its one of the best lenses nikon makes. I just got one the other day and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I've also heard the 85mm 1.8 is pretty sweet.

-edit...
best yet, buy a D700 with no body ~ 3000,
but a 105mm or 85mm prime off ebay, ~ 300 bucks, then
buy some zoom lens for 1200....im sure you could find a good one for that price

lens for portrait? how bout the Nikkor 105mm F/2.5. you can find one in excellent shape for about 250-350 on ebay and its one of the best lenses nikon makes. I just got one the other day and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I've also heard the 85mm 1.8 is pretty sweet.

-edit...
best yet, buy a D700 with no body ~ 3000,
but a 105mm or 85mm prime off ebay, ~ 300 bucks, then
buy some zoom lens for 1200....im sure you could find a good one for that price

Well, I will also be getting the battery grip, battery's, and memory cards aswell.

I may check out one of those lenses, but would probably prefer something like the 24-70. So I would have some zoom to it so I wouldn't have to worry about not being able to stand far enough away to get the picture.

Why would you go with that?
By all accounts, it's a great lens in terms of performance.

I use the Canon version and I'm finding that it's great for portrait work. The long focal length is very flattering to people and you can get very shallow DOF when needed. The only downsides are that it's a big lens to be lugging around and you may find that it's too long for constricted spaces.

A wider lens would certainly be in order for many types of photography and the 24-70mm F2.8 would probably be a good one as well, but for senior portriats (one subject) I'd probably use 70-200mm more often. I've used mine for 4-person family portraits a couple times in the last few weeks.

By all accounts, it's a great lens in terms of performance.

I use the Canon version and I'm finding that it's great for portrait work. The long focal length is very flattering to people and you can get very shallow DOF when needed. The only downsides are that it's a big lens to be lugging around and you may find that it's too long for constricted spaces.

A wider lens would certainly be in order for many types of photography and the 24-70mm F2.8 would probably be a good one as well, but for senior portriats (one subject) I'd probably use 70-200mm more often. I've used mine for 4-person family portraits a couple times in the last few weeks.

Yea, The biggest problem I would probably have with it is its size. I would have to start weight lifting again or something.. lol. It just seems like it would be very cumbersome because all my pictures are taken outside due to no studio so I would be moving around alot.

And I also realize the 24-70 is no feather weight either.. heh.

Try lugging that around on one camera, as well as another camera with lens & flash...and two bags...and then maybe a light stand with flash and battery pack on it. Just a typical summer Saturday for me. :lol:

Try lugging that around on one camera, as well as another camera with lens & flash...and two bags...and then maybe a light stand with flash and battery pack on it. Just a typical summer Saturday for me. :lol:

lol, So, you start losing weight.. and people ask you how you are doing it..

"well, I spent about 7grand on camera equipment and just carry it around all day.. seems to be a pretty good diet/workout plan so far..."

Plus 70mm becomes a highly usable focal length when it's viewed on a full frame camera.

The last Strobist meetup we had had most of the Canon shooters walking around with 70-200 lenses of one aperture/is configuration or another.

Plus 70mm becomes a highly usable focal length when it's viewed on a full frame camera.

The last Strobist meetup we had had most of the Canon shooters walking around with 70-200 lenses of one aperture/is configuration or another.

Oh yea, I had actually forgotten about the full frame difference. Like.. I knew about it.. I just was not applying it in my head.

So what would you suggest?

I shoot with the D700 and I have both the 24-70 and the 70-200.
I will say they both have their place, but for every day use the 24-70 lives on the D700.
It is a bit short for portrait work, but it can be used in tighter spaces that I seem to find myself in. I tend to keep the 70-200 on my D300 and it works beautiful.

I would sugest selling all of your current lenses (Except the 60mm macro)and do not buy the tamron you are looking at, just save to get both, the 24-70 and the 70-200. With both you will have a great range and alot less to carry.

I shoot with the D700 and I have both the 24-70 and the 70-200.
I will say they both have their place, but for every day use the 24-70 lives on the D700.
It is a bit short for portrait work, but it can be used in tighter spaces that I seem to find myself in. I tend to keep the 70-200 on my D300 and it works beautiful.

I would sugest selling all of your current lenses (Except the 60mm macro)and do not buy the tamron you are looking at, just save to get both, the 24-70 and the 70-200. With both you will have a great range and alot less to carry.

Getting rid of my current stuff isn't something I want to do.

Getting rid of my current stuff isn't something I want to do.
Not yet, but if you had those two lenses, the rest of your gear might never get used.

b.t.w. The Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 won't be any good with a D700 (neither will your 18-55mm). They are meant for crop cameras, not full frame.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back