What Lens?

col85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Total noob here, I have the Nikon d40

im looking for a lens for cityscape and automotive photography

I currently only have the lens that came with the kit 15-55mm? and looking to add another lens to my kit

thanks in advance

How much you willing to spend? This is a key question as there are low and high budget options

I know that you shouldnt skimp on the lens so whatever it costs. Im not going to benefit from having any top of the range lenses. Just something that will give me an opportunity to take better pictures.

sorry that didnt actually help much, i have no idea how much lens can cost. Up to £200 maybe?

For cityscape I was thinking along the lines of the Sigma 10-20mm Nikon fit
Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd

They have made a new version of this lens with a fixed f3.5 aperture, but its cost will be more than the older version (which is still a very good lens in its own right).

i have no idea how much lens can cost. Up to £200 maybe?
Then you certainly don't want to be saying 'whatever the cost'...

Top range lenses are about £10,000 (such like the Nikkor 600mm).

Average lenses, considerably less; but still quite a bit of money.

i have no idea how much lens can cost. Up to £200 maybe?
Then you certainly don't want to be saying 'whatever the cost'...

Top range lenses are about £10,000 (such like the Nikkor 600mm).

Average lenses, considerably less; but still quite a bit of money.

ha ok, noted:thumbup:

so 10-20mm lens would be best for cityscape

how about a lense more suited to portraits and close ups? 55-200mm?

So you're looking for under 200 pounds? Are you willing to go up to, say, 400 pounds?

So you're looking for under 200 pounds? Are you willing to go up to, say, 400 pounds?

like i said i have no real concept of the cost of lenses

If £400 is the cost of the good lens then so be it :D

For cityscape, I usually prefer a wider to standard focal length lens. And that is what your kit lens' focal length falls into. And if you would like to pick up a decent lens in that range, the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX DC Macro HSM or the Tamron AF17-50mm F/2.8 Di-II LD Aspherical are pretty good choice. (esp for lower cost)

If you prefer a even wider view, the Sigma 10-20mm is great choice as mentioned by Overread. (Tokina 11-16mm is also a great choice)

As for portrait type photography, I prefer a telephoto lens range around 70 to 100mm if space is not limited (i.e. outdoor). I use my 85mm lens a lot for that. Or the standard prime lens with 50mm focal length is a good choice especially for indoor limited space (On a cropped sensor body such as your camera, 50mm may still be too long for tight space indoor environment.)

As for the macro/close-up, there are 1:1 ratio macro lens that you can also use it for portrait. You will find some prime lens in 60mm, 70mm, 90mm, 100mm, 105mm, 150mm or 180mm ... Those are dedicated macro lens that allow you to have 1:1 magnification. The Sigma 18-50mm lens I mentioned above do have a macro function (close up), however it is not really a true macro lens, but it allow you to have close up shots, (The Tamron can also focus decently close as well)

In general, the higher price lens offers better optical quality. If you find that your photography is limited by your current lens, you may want to upgrade it to a better one.

For me, I will usually look for a faster lens in which the maximum aperture is larger (lower the F number such as F/2.8 or lower). Faster lens usually (not always true) optically better and works better in low light photography. But it usually comes with a higher price tag.

Good luck ;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back