What lens??

FoxyShorty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

we are really stuck on what lenses would be best for the kind of photography we are doing, and would like to be doing in the future, and could use some help in deciding what to do.

We are doing some family photography, and in a month or two, will do our first maternity shoot. We have a Sigma 18-250 right now. Is that sufficient for this type of photography? What about weddings (something we'd like to do in the future)? We were told to get 24-105 at some point. Also heard that a 70-200 would be good, or would our 18-250 cover that?

If the 18-250 would cover the 70-200, do we need to get the 24-105 or can we get a shorter wide angle zoom such as the 8-16 or 10-22, etc. seeing as we would have a long zoom lens in the 18-250 already to cover the long zoom distance of the 24-105?

Thanks for your help! Decisions, decisions! :blushing:

if you are doing family photography, then you should get a prime, i.e. ,105, 85, 50, 35

assumng Canon the 85mm 1.2L is amazing. I got the chance to borrow it in a seminar the other day The difference you are looking at is the quality of lens. Just because the lenses cover the same focal range doesnt mean they are the same quality. L lenses of Canon are the luxury line. Built like a tank and quality is top notch. Faster lenses are what you need. Do a little research and youll see what I mean. I would type more but I am typing on my phone at the moment.

if you are doing family photography, then you should get a prime, i.e. ,105, 85, 50, 35

I agree, and in my opinion, if I were to have a single prime for portraits, I wouldn't want anything less than a 70...anything less and I have to get too close for many of the shots.

What is your budget? I mean the range you're giving, you can get a $300 lens to a $1400 lens for what you want done. Will you be using this for future as a professional purpose or are you just getting this for the family photo shoot? If you're only getting for the photo shoot then price doesn't matter because then I'd suggest you rent a good prime lens. Do you need wide zoom? Will you have a lot of family members sitting together? How much space are you working with?

Rent this, it'll give you options if you want to zoom in. That's my opinion. But renting will be significantly cheaper than to buy it (obviously).

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

Hey, I don't have time right now to reply properly, but wanted to say "thanks!"
We want to start our own business- taking it slow and seeing where it will go. Right now we've got family sessions, and will doing maternity soon. So there could potentially be a fair sized group to shoot. And, eventually we'd love to shoot weddings, but we're no where near experienced enough to do that, so I'm not TOO worried about those lenses (unless we can kill 2 birds with one stone, and get the wedding lens that works for family/maternity as well). I don't want to spend TOO much, but I understand the value of a really good lens. Agh- that doesn't help, now does it? I would say nothing more than around $2000 (that scares me quite a bit for the moment!). Outta time! Thanks for your replies and help!

For wedding? From what I read, these are popular

1x-2xmm f/x.x
2x-7xmm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8

on 2+ bodies.

I do not think you will go wrong with the above combo.

I think Dao got some symbols in his post by accident ;)

For the areas you are looking at I would say consider the prime lenses suggested thus far, but also consider the following two zoom lenses:

24-70mm f2.8 L (the workhorse of many a wedding and portrait photographer)
70-200mm f2.8 IS L (out of production but still a top quality optic and on the second hand market - the M2 is newer and far more expensive - if you can afford it go for it).

Those two make a powerfull wedding combo and are also good for regular portrait and family work. Add in a few prime lenses for faster apertures and more light gathering as well as a wider angle zoom or prime for group shots as well as a good flash unit and you'll be on your way for a decent setup.

Second camera bodies and backup bodies for the wedding day are also important considerations as they allow you to have two lenses mounted at once (shift quick from prime to zoom or from zoom to zoom) and also leaves you with a backup unit incase one dies on you in the middle of a shoot.

The 17-40 and 24-105 are on the slow end( for weddings andlow light) at F4 unless you have your own lighting. Overread had two great suggestions with the 24-70 and 70-200 both F2.8. For the 2k budget I think I would get the 50F1.4 and 70-200 f2.8 IS (the older version you can get used for around $1500). I would also look at the 85 F1.8 or 135 F2. You also really need a second body! Good luck hope this helps.

What camera body/bodies are you shooting with currently?

Thanks so much everyone.

Currently we have a Canon EOS Xsi and 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 Sigma lens. We are planning on upgrading (perhaps to a 7d or maybe even 5d) as soon as we can, and using the Xsi as backup for now (until we get more cashflow for better gear).

So it seems that the most popular suggests are the 85mm f1.8. Or the 24-70mm f2.8L and 70-200mm f2.8 IS L.

If we were to get just one, for now, focusing mostly on portraits what would be best?

Most reactions

Back