What Lense Should I Buy?

rickyrick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Basically its for a canon 80d and it will be used for youtube exercise videos.
Bicep workouts,back workouts,running,bench press etc.

Kit lens would accomplish all of this easily. Start with the kit lens and see how it works. If it is not meeting your needs then please provide how so we can best advise on a lens. If you don't have the standard kit lens, what lens do you have and how is it not performing to your needs?

Kit lens would accomplish all of this easily. Start with the kit lens and see how it works. If it is not meeting your needs then please provide how so we can best advise on a lens. If you don't have the standard kit lens, what lens do you have and how is it not performing to your needs?

Thanks for the reply zombie.
I dont have a lense yet infact i dont even have the camera.
Im looking to purchase it in about a months time.
Will any kit lense will do the job?

Thanks for the reply zombie.
I dont have a lense yet infact i dont even have the camera.
Im looking to purchase it in about a months time.
Will any kit lense will do the job?

if it's primarily for video look at STM lens
you can start with the 18-55 STM but there are better lens depending on your budget

The 80D has Dual-Pixel CMOS AF which means the focus can follow you as you move without seeing "focus hunt".

Canon's STM (Stepper Motor) lenses are MUCH quieter (even in the internal mic struggles to detect any sound from the focus motors) and also a bit faster and smoother then the older kit lenses.

For indoor shooting, you probably do want the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens. Some kits will include the 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens instead -- also fine but you're unlikely to need that long focal length range when shooting inside.

Lenses aside... something else you might consider (since it sounds like you're primarily going to use this for video) is a good quality external mic.

Internal mics don't have great audio fidelity. The most popular external mic (especially for video such as YouTube work) is a Rode VideoMic. They make several variations. The least expensive is the VideoMic "Go" - it's a budget no-frills shotgun mic. The standard Rode VideoMic (not the "Go") adds a high-pass switch. High-pass causes the mic to ignore low-frequency sounds... those low vibrations are typically things like fans, air conditioning compressors, car engines, etc. The mic will basically just ignore those and that can help cut out background noise that you don't want to hear. Then there's the Rode VideoMic "Pro". This has the high-pass switch as well, but also adds a gain switch. This allows the mic to internally process and boost audio levels so that you do NOT have to do that in camera or in post processing. That might sound like no big deal, but often there's a bit of hiss when the camera has to boost gain or you do it using computer software, but when the mic does it, you get a better job, don't have to boost as much (if at all) in camera or using the computer and the result is usually cleaner sound.

These mics are designed to mount to the camera's hot-shoe (where you'd normally attach an external flash) and use a cord to connect to the camera's microphone input port.

Most reactions

Back