What lense to use?

joshmcm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I plan on doing a lot of outdoor shooting of lakes, woods, trees, etc. and I'm a definite noob and am completely in the dark as to what type of lense to use and which one. My budget is -$200 so can you help me out?

wide angle. perhaps around the 15-35 range...depending on the effect you want.

Although, you can also use a longer lens...it all depends on your style.

Sideburns, your signature says you that you own the 50mm f/1.8, how is that for landscape/outdoor-use ?

I just saw it in portrait use, but if that would work well, that would be a great deal with excellent IQ for joshmcm...

please correct me if I'm wrong...

Pat

Sideburns, your signature says you that you own the 50mm f/1.8, how is that for landscape/outdoor-use ?

I just saw it in portrait use, but if that would work well, that would be a great deal with excellent IQ for joshmcm...

please correct me if I'm wrong...

Pat

Of course it all depends on style and the specific subject you're shooting, but landscape photographers usually use wide-angle lenses.

That being said, a fast 50mm prime should always be in your kit no matter what you shoot simply because of their low price, fast speed, and good IQ.

To the OP: whatever kit lens you got with your camera (probably 18-55 or so) should be fine for landscape until you're able to spend more. For ~$200 you're not really going to find anything worth buying except for a 50mm prime which probably isn't the best choice for landscapes.

$200 is really a tight budget....

BUT

Since I don't do enough ultra-wide angle shots, I couldn't see myself spending the money.. but I did want something for those rare occasions. After some shopping around, I ended up with the Tokina 19-35mm lens for about $150. For the money spent it is a good performer and many call it the "plastic wonder' because it does surprise you at times... you just have to understand and accept some of its short comings... Slow AF, some CA (see purple fringing around the clouds), not the fastest at max aperture.

Unfortunately, it is no longer produced but you might be able to find one used for even less.

A rather old capture of mine on traditional film.

img034.jpg

The $200 budget is because my parents have just spent money on buying the camera for me. I mean, the lens on it is pretty good, don't get me wrong. But, I would like a more clear picture. Currently on a EFS 18-55mm zoom.

The $200 budget is because my parents have just spent money on buying the camera for me. I mean, the lens on it is pretty good, don't get me wrong. But, I would like a more clear picture. Currently on a EFS 18-55mm zoom.

The only thing you can get that would be clearer would be a 50mm prime. Maybe you could find something used, but I would just get a fast 50.

I did a quick peek at B&H and the only Canon lens in your price range that is at all wide angle seems to be the one you have.

I just got back from a trip to Acadia, I stayed in the 24-50mm Range the whole time on a cropped body.

Most reactions

Back