What lenses are necessary for you?

zombie_thread.jpg

For my Pentax's.....
50mm, because it is close to the human eye and how I see the world.
105mm, just a nice piece of glass and the images are stunningly sharp.
80-200mm, just got this, Kiron, NICE lens.

For my Canon.....
my trusty 35-105mm and my 20-35 wide zoom-this lens has no wide angle curve, just nice and level.

The only reason for not using a lens more often but ... is that you're not using a lens more often. There are no 'Rules' or Laws' governing lens usage. There are guides, i.e. Wides for landscape, medium telephotos for portraits, et al ... But those are general rules. Creativity supersedes general rules. I've successfully used 500mm for flowers and ultra wides for environmental portraits. The greater and more often the use of 'optical drama' the closer you will get to hitting a home runs.

I tend to stay away from 50-ish/normal length lenses. I use lenses to enhance the story, to bring emphasis to the image. For me, to capture the world as we already see it ... is relatively pointless. I want to capture a world we don't see, to tell the story as I see it. Optical Drama is similar to using adjectives with written words. The further away from 50mm, (in either direction), the greater the drama. It is up to the photog to determine how much drama is acceptable before the optics become more of a story than the captured image.

The next time you shoot something, only take the zoom. Make yourself think long, make yourself be creative long ... Get out of the box.

When I was shooting news, (film), my most used lenses were the 20mm, 85mm and 180mm.

Last edited:
I use my sigma 18-35mm 1.8 most of the time.
Best APS-c lens for sure :)
It would be perfect if it was something like 16-50mm 1.8 or f2, but still.

Also use my 40mm 2.8 for macro, close up and all around street lens.
70-200 for nature, some portraits and sports - but the 70mm sometimes is a bit long for the wide side (on the APS-c).

I also bought a Tokina 100mm for a better macro working distance and some portraits.

But it depends on the mood - usually I walk with the D7200 + 18-35mm 1.8 (heavy combo).
When I want something lighter and smaller I put then 40mm 2.8 (I also have a 50mm 1.8 that I don't use so often).
But if I go with my car, there's always a bag with lenses on the trunk :)

Cheers

Back in the film days I didn't use zoom lenses, mostly because they were pretty compromised in those days. I had many, many lenses and I took along whatever I needed for the shoot in question. If I were heading out the door not knowing what I was going to shoot I would carry my 18 f2.8, 24 f2.8, 60 f2.8 micro, 85 f1.8 and 180 f2.8. I would have viewed that collection to be very flexible for heading into the photographic unknown.

I enjoyed the kitten post. Thanks for that.

The lenses I have deemed necessary; I have so far failed to convice my better half to see the light and therefor they are necessarily only a dream.

Most reactions

Back