What lenses for a D40?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by darkpbstar, Jun 18, 2008.

1. darkpbstar

darkpbstar TPF Noob!

Ok so I'm going on a cruise around September and want to get new lenses by then, not only for use then I know, but at least by then. I want probably two more by then, I have only the kit lense. What lenses would you recomend for me? 2 that will get me a wide ranges of shots, along with my kit lense. Also, do they have lenses that will autofocus for the D40? thank you

2. sultan

sultan TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    AF-S 70-300 VR or at least 55-200 VR

Everything else is too expensive or won't AF on the D40.

3. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nikon 55-200VR (long shots)
    Nikon 70-300VR (really long shots)
    Sigma 10-20 HSM (ultra-wide)
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM (low light shots inside the cruise ship)
    Nikon 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 35/2 (same purpose as above, just manually focus)
    Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 HSM (fast mid-zoom)

All of these are reasonably affordable lenses.

4. darkpbstar

darkpbstar TPF Noob!

cool thanks. I will definetely be getting a zoom, what is the difference between and a 55-200VR and 70-300VR? I ask because I want to get the widest range of styles between two lenses, since I'm not going to be buying a whole lot by then. So should I get a (really long shot) zoom or start out with the smaller zoom? I'm deffinetly not getting 2 zoom lenses at once, I'll get a zoom and probably a wide angle, since I've read that these are great lenses to buy.

5. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The 70-300VR is twice the price, but a lot longer, has the "good" style AF-S with instant manual focus override, and will work on full-frame digital or film cameras whereas the 55-200 won't. Both are top notch lenses optically that will "deliver the goods". I had the older 55-200 non-VR and sold it off for the 70-300 because I was always out at 200mm and wanted more. Plus the VR is a huge help on longer lenses and my 55-200 didn't have it. If you find yourself at the 18mm stop of your 18-55 and always want to go wider, that's your clue that you'd love an ultra-wide angle lens.

6. Slaphead

Slaphead TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 70-300 VR is a lot heavier and larger than the 55-200 VR and may feel unbalanced on a D40 (I use both on a D40x). It's sharper than the 55-200 and has a nice fast focus, but I prefer the 55-200 as a general use telephoto zoom. I use the 70-300 only when I think I'm going to need the extra reach or want the extra sharpness.

7. Applefanboy

Applefanboy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The sigma 70-300 is about $100 and will focus on the D40. If you are really serious about photography, I would recomend the sigma 70-200 f/2.8 which is about $800 and also can autofocus on the D40.

8. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd be careful with the Sigma 70-300, because there's a lot of different version of it and only the latest ones have autofocus support for the D40/40x/60.

http://www.adorama.com/SG70300DGNKA.html

That one is $100 but it's not the one that will autofocus on the D40. It says AF-D which is the old screw driven variety AF that the D40 won't support.

9. RubyMagic

RubyMagic TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Get a 18-200vr, and forget all others.

You seem like youre only using it for casual photography so just save the hassel of keeping up with lenses, and buy this superzoom.

Some people say its soft, but I disagree. Its a very good lens.

10. petey

petey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    what he said ^

it does the trick

11. PHYLAL

PHYLAL TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What is the general opinion of the Tamron AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di Aspherical (IF) Wide Angle - Telephoto Auto Focus Zoom Lens for Nikon Auto Focus D? If you like this lens, is the $200 extra for the VC (Vibration Compensation) worth it? I am a casual outdoor photographer.

12. passerby

passerby TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I read few reviews for it and it has good reviews. But 28mm is not wide. If you have a kitlens with you try set it at 28mm and have a look through it and compare it with 18mm, that is the easiest way to know what 28mm look like. Also this lens need enough light to focus. Once the light drops it hunts. And f 6.3 is not that good for low light anyway.
    Optically it is very good lens and the VC (anti shake thingy) works well.
    That what I have read around about this tamron 28-300 so far.