What lenses for landscapes?

ashfordphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to photography and work with my wife's canon ae1. I have a lens (I know nothing about it) - I'm sure it's just the standard 50mm.

I want to get into doing mostly black and white landscape photography. What are some must haves lens wise? I know nothing about lenses - but I'm thinking a wide angle would be a good start? What do you think I should start playing with first? Telephoto? Macro? Wide angle?

Thanks!

The macro I'm not sure about - for close-up wildlife and nature photography sure, but not so much for landscapes. Personally I would get the telephoto and the wide-angle; either can be very useful.

Most of my landscape work is done with a fixed lens 120 film rig. It's rare for me to need something else.

A suggestion: when you feel that you've twice missed really good shots because you didn't have a WA or tele lens, then go buy one. But not before.

Another suggestion: cut a 2" x 3" rectangle out of the center of a 4x6 or larger piece of cardboard. Carry the card with you. Use it to view a scene as a framing/composition aid. You just might find it to be the cheapest and most useful accessory in your pack. It will also alert you to WA and tele possibilities.

One more suggestion: consider buying some filters [red, orange, yellow, green and linear polarizing] if you don't already have them. If possible, buy them large enough to fit a telephoto if and when you buy one. 62mm is recommended, though you should do a bit of checking before buying. Throw in a 62mm lens hood and you're good to go. Use a step-up ring [55 to 62?] for your 50mm.

And one last: for true macro work, get a set of extension tubes and a reversing ring. Much cheaper than a 'macro' lens and the resulting images will probably be sharper.

All good advices above! Consider a 35mm lens, which is a moderate Wide Angle. That's pretty much what you'd need. Good luck.

For landscapes 35mm is probably not wide enough. I'd say something like the 17-40f4L would be a better choice.

Great wide angle landscape lens on a FF camera .

I am new to photography and work with my wife's canon ae1. I have a lens (I know nothing about it) - I'm sure it's just the standard 50mm.

I want to get into doing mostly black and white landscape photography. What are some must haves lens wise? I know nothing about lenses - but I'm thinking a wide angle would be a good start? What do you think I should start playing with first? Telephoto? Macro? Wide angle?

Thanks!

survived a long time with a 50mm and a 28mm on 35mm film. I never really NEEDED a wider angle, but now that I got one (17mm) I of course use it, but it is not crucial to most of my landscape shots.

I did however miss a telephoto from time to time, when the stray wild animal entered my line of sight and I just could not get a decent shot of it. On my next trip I'll tak a 300mm prime and a 1.4x extender and see if that will help.

Ashfordphoto:

Best of luck to you.

As an aside, I worked [years ago] for Leon Hess. Yup, that Leon Hess. One of his favorite questions was;

'Give anyone a million dollars and he can probably do something with it -- but what I want to know is, what can you do with nothing?'

And we were all fully aware that Leon built an oil empire starting with one old kerosene delivery truck!

This has colored my thinking, big time.

Regards.

And we were all fully aware that Leon build an oil empire starting with one old kerosene delivery truck!

But keep in mind, that later he did not run his empire with that truck ... that is something important to remember too ...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back