What lenses will I need???

Phazan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am still somewhat new to photography, and I am saving to upgrade my S3 IS to an EOS 40D. My parents have an old kit lens from their film rebel I am going to use, but besides that what lenses should I buy right when I get my camera? I want a lens to get me up close to the aircraft for airshows, (I go to airshows often) and I was thinking of buying the 1.8/50mm lens that everyone always talks about. But how can you tell a good lens from a bad one? Can someone guide me to the right first lens(es) with my new DSLR? I pretty much photograph everything around me that's interesting. Thanks!

If you are going to be shooting the planes in flight, I would think that a telephoto lens would be good; to "zoom" in. Canon makes really good ones. I've heard good things about the 70-200mm and 70-300mm.

I don't mean to be harsh but you don't need any other lenses until you know you have an application for other lenses. Then you won't need to ask. You will know what you need. In other words, patience, Grasshopper. Knowledge will come with time and experience.

you don't need any other lenses until you know you have an application for other lenses. Then you won't need to ask. You will know what you need. In other words, patience, Grasshopper. Knowledge will come with time and experience.
Sounds like good advice to me.

But how can you tell a good lens from a bad one?
For the most part, price is the easiest way to tell...the best lenses are usually the most expensive.

The others have given you good advice. Me, I will only add that the word is spelled lens, not lense.

Like they said above, wait to see what you may actually need. I believe the 40D will come with a 28-135mm which a a great starter lens. Use that and see what you decide.

Like they said above, wait to see what you may actually need. I believe the 40D will come with a 28-135mm which a a great starter lens. Use that and see what you decide.

I would assume they will probably have kits with different lenses like they do now. Not everyone is going to want the 28-135. Although I just bought one and am looking forward to getting it. :thumbup::)

I find it odd that the 28-135 IS, seems to be the lens that Canon is pushing as the 'kit' lens for the D40. It's a fine lens, but I would personally find that it's not wide enough.

It's my guess that the new 'kit' lens will be the new 18-55 IS, which was announced the same day as the 40D.

I would assume they will probably have kits with different lenses like they do now. Not everyone is going to want the 28-135. Although I just bought one and am looking forward to getting it. :thumbup::)

Yea, I am sure they have other "kits" as well, its the one I pre-ordered and seems to be the one that most sites are advertising. :)

Yea, I am sure they have other "kits" as well, its the one I pre-ordered and seems to be the one that most sites are advertising. :)

Thats what I am seeing. I'm curious to see the new 18-55 IS.

Even so, I'd rather have a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 or Canon 17-55 f/2.8 than either. :lol:

The others have given you good advice. Me, I will only add that the word is spelled lens, not lense.

That first "lense" was a typo, sorry. All the rest after that were spelled correctly...(But when you see this, it will be fixed :))

But thanks for the advice everyone! :hail:

I find it odd that the 28-135 IS, seems to be the lens that Canon is pushing as the 'kit' lens for the D40. It's a fine lens, but I would personally find that it's not wide enough.

It's my guess that the new 'kit' lens will be the new 18-55 IS, which was announced the same day as the 40D.

I think they just had a lot of back-stock they needed to unload. Not selling as much film bodies these days I presume. Anyway, it is a wierd focal range for digital on the wide-angle side. Prefer the EF-S 17-85 IS as a starter lens myself.
Back to the question at hand,
1) Purchase said camera (it's great BTW)
2) Use said camera for a bit and see what you need
3) Save up for longer lenses when the time does come to get new glass. Search Flickr for airshow photos and see what gear the posters are using. That should give you an inkling as to what to expect zoom wise, sorta. Really depends on your budget and the IQ you desire.

I'd look into the Canon EF-S 10-22mm if you're getting the 40D. I'd be thinking 'wide' if you want to get shots (up close) of the planes on the ground. Plus, this is a good lens for landscape and nature scenes if that is something you are also interested in shooting.

Most reactions

Back