What lights for a main and back light?

I'll definitely ask DH to put the background stand on wheels-- great idea.

He wants a 3 car garage in the new house for all of his "big boy toys" and in return I get a space for my "studio".

Is there a big difference in quality as far as background stands are concerned?

And if I get the AB 800 for main light, I might go ahead and get a fill light. Should I just get a cheaper monolight with an umbrella? That was suggested to me by someone else.

Thanks again, guys!! You're the best!

You will regret buying cheap background stands the first time they fall over :)

Something to consider, chances are once you are set up the location of the backdrop will not change. I have eye hooks on my ceiling in the three most used orientations for the backdrop.

Then I use lengths of chain and 10' x 5/8" electrical conduit to hang the backdrop, no stands to trip over or fall over....

As to the lights, it may be best to stick with one brand. For instance, you may eventually want/need the Alien Bees Cyber Commander. They won't work on other brands lights.

Cheers, Don

You will regret buying cheap background stands the first time they fall over :)

Something to consider, chances are once you are set up the location of the backdrop will not change. I have eye hooks on my ceiling in the three most used orientations for the backdrop.

Then I use lengths of chain and 10' x 5/8" electrical conduit to hang the backdrop, no stands to trip over or fall over....

As to the lights, it may be best to stick with one brand. For instance, you may eventually want/need the Alien Bees Cyber Commander. They won't work on other brands lights.

Cheers, Don

Thanks for the info on background stands.

So the AB lights will only work with the AB triggers??

No, you have a number of choices based on cost.

The least expensive is wired to the camera with a cord.

For wireless, Cactus triggers are the least expensive, then there is the Alien Bees Cyber Cync that fire the strobes but don't control the light power.

Then there is the Cyber Commander that control the lights and functions as a light meter.

Other options are Pocket Wizards, etc.

Just depends on how much you want to spend and what features you need.

Cheers, Don

No, you have a number of choices based on cost.

The least expensive is wired to the camera with a cord.

For wireless, Cactus triggers are the least expensive, then there is the Alien Bees Cyber Cync that fire the strobes but don't control the light power.

Then there is the Cyber Commander that control the lights and functions as a light meter.

Other options are Pocket Wizards, etc.

Just depends on how much you want to spend and what features you need.

Cheers, Don

OK, so the Cyber Commander only works with Alien Bees lights?

Never bought a background stand. Always built my own. Not any cheaper than some but much more solid. If you put wheels on it make sure one on each side is of the lockable style so the stand doesn't roll around when someone touches it.

Or rather than a background stand with wheels, you could just have a couple different wall mounts. Then you could take the backdrop off of one wall and just hang it on a different wall.

Or you could put in a roller curtain system. (think of those curtains around many hospital beds). You just mount a track to the ceiling (or on drop down supports) then attach rollers to your backdrop. Then you can easily roll the backdrop to wherever you have the track mounted.

Or rather than a background stand with wheels, you could just have a couple different wall mounts. Then you could take the backdrop off of one wall and just hang it on a different wall.

Or you could put in a roller curtain system. (think of those curtains around many hospital beds). You just mount a track to the ceiling (or on drop down supports) then attach rollers to your backdrop. Then you can easily roll the backdrop to wherever you have the track mounted.

Hmm, interesting. There are so many options. I was just going to buy one until we move to our new house, and then I figured DH would love to make some kind of contraption for me. He loves fabricating, welding, etc. I guess I can use Google and find some good ideas. Thanks for the suggestion.

Are there seamless backdrops that are better than others? I've come across soooo many online and the prices are all over the place. Adive again is much appreciated.

I felt like an idiot when I went into Calumet today for some relfectors. I didn't even ask all the questions I had lined up. I felt so uncomfortable that I managed to buy the wrong thing (wanted a diffuser and then the reflector covers to put over it, and ended up with a silver/gold zigzag with white on the other side) AND I forgot to look for other items I had on my list (non lighting things). I'm glad I have the anonymity of this forum so I don't feel like such a moron. Thanks :)

Most reactions

Back