What Magazine?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by TwoRails, Dec 13, 2008.

1. TwoRails

TwoRails TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What photo magazine do read if you read one?

Before I found this grand place, I recently subscribed to Popular Photography and I must say I like it. Good articles and lots of reviews. After being a member here I'll have to go back and read from the start again as I'll have more appreciation because I'll have a better idea of what they're talking about.

2. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    B&W. Awesome magazine if you just want to see some great photography. Do yourself a favor and get the free trial issue (US residents only), you won't be disappointed.

I also subscribe to Popular Photography, but I'm not into gear reviews so much... It's OK, reading about all the latest gear just gets boring after a while.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  3. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you want to see great photos, subscribe to National Geographic. Or be cheap like me and take it out from the nearest library.

Many "photography" magazines are more accurately "photo equipment magazines". If you want to read manufacturer specifications and see test charts, there are too many places online that you can find that information for free to waste money reading it in glossy magazines.

4. plentygood

plentygood TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Popular Photography, but to be honest, it's getting less and less impressive, in my opinion.

5. TwoRails

TwoRails TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'll check it out, thanks. Ya, reading reviews can get old. I use to be into computers for a lot of years but hardly read reviews anymore in the few mags I still get. I'm liking the photo gear reviews as I don't know what's going on so it's a good learning tool for me. I've even, for example, read reviews on lenses for cameras I'll probably never own. Hate to admit it, but it took me a while to figure out what they meant with saying an IS lens was good for 1.5 or 2 stops.

I get NG, but it's mainly for my BetterHalf. I usually don't even get to see them as when she's done, it gives them away and they're gone before I know it :(

Yes, too many magazines have turned into gadget magazines. I dropped Popular Science for this as it seemed like most of it was on new tech gadgets and not 'real' science. I dropped some computer mags as well as I don't want reviews on cell phones or MP3 players.

But, I'll always get the paper versions of some stuff as I like to read them in bed at night or while sitting on the john or the like.

What other magazine are you considering, if any?

6. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ag Magazine looks good too, though I haven't read it. Looks like it would be worth checking out.

7. TwoRails

TwoRails TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Looks interesting, but under subscribe it seems to be not available here in the states. I Googled it but got only Agriculture magazines and the like...

8. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hadn't noticed that before. It looks like you still can though, you just have to pay more.

9. plentygood

plentygood TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think I'll actually subscribe to any others. I signed up for that free issue of BW like mentioned above, but from what I can tell reviews are getting more and more space in the magazines and I get enough of that from buzz on this and the POTN message board. Most of the tips and ideas are useless to me too because I'll either never shoot it or have already heard it.

The magazines that mean the most to me now are actually the fashion magazines I get from my two best friends. One designs and one just loves fashion, so they get lots of magazines and I mostly just flip through the ads to get ideas on styles and concepts (even though I never apply them). As far as that goes, I think it's InStyle that I like the most. Not really sure though.

10. ccssk8ter11

ccssk8ter11 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I personally like popular photography, shutter bug, and expert photo techniques.

11. Soda Ant

Soda Ant TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the British photo magazines, such as Practical Photography, much better than the American rags. You can find them in Borders or Barnes and Noble.

12. TwoRails

TwoRails TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the tip. Sometimes I forget about books stores...