what makes a better photo in a photo shot?

qleak

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay here's my weekly experiment. I decided to try my hand in a photo in photo shots with backgrounds thrown wildly out of focus.

1)
3 by n8.iverson, on Flickr

2)
DSC_0177 by n8.iverson, on Flickr

3)
DSC_0175 by n8.iverson, on Flickr

4)
DSC_0165 by n8.iverson, on Flickr

5)
DSC_0124 by n8.iverson, on Flickr

6)
DSC_0146 by n8.iverson, on Flickr

If you don't like this sort of photo that's understandable, I'm not sure how fond of this genre I am. Especially my first efforts :)

Here's some self critique on these:
1) I'm not sure how fond I am of the white balance. I may need to do 2 different white balances and mask together.

2) I don't feel like the foreground is sufficiently the subject of the photo, my eye is not very well drawn to it. It could be leveler but I'm not convinced it's enough of a keeper to bother.

3) I don't like that I got the phone menu in the photo. I don't like that the phone's shot appears to be out of focus. This might be my favorite.

4) My significant other likes the totally blue light balance SOOC. I don't think I like it :)

5) This is my runner up for favorite. I liked having the BG a little warm here.

6) It surprised me that the lens snapped in focus as well as the reflected phone camera screen. I think I'm being a little to excited by the surprise in thinking there's anything good about this one :)

I think you've got something here, just the subject matter or composition isn't working. I've done something similar while at Disney World, but with other peoples cameras.

I'm linking, to not hijack, but to show what I mean with composition and subject matter.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2913/14069384287_94f910f70f_b.jpg

YES, use other people!!

I love taking pictures of people taking pictures of people taking pictures as well ;) Pic-ception

I think you've got something here, just the subject matter or composition isn't working. I've done something similar while at Disney World, but with other peoples cameras.

I'm linking, to not hijack, but to show what I mean with composition and subject matter.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2913/14069384287_94f910f70f_b.jpg

Thanks for the feedback! :)

I'm not sure I'd want to run into anyone else in the neighborhoods I took some of these pictures.

In fact, I'm sure my sheer paranoia about getting mugged and my body tossed into the river had some affect on how quickly I made said photos. Maybe "packing heat" would help improve my composition too ;)

YES, use other people!!

I love taking pictures of people taking pictures of people taking pictures as well ;) Pic-ception

Pic-ception! Nice! Thanks also for the feedback :)

First, I think it's important to see what is being photographed. Having it so wildly out of focus that we don't have a clue what's there (other than assuming the phone is taking a picture) doesn't really work for me. Having a scene where the ambient exposure and the screen exposure fit within your cameras dynamic range helps too.

Second, the overall scene should be well composed, as well as the image on the screen of the phone being well (or at least acceptably) composed. To me this is no different than using a mirror or window to compose a scene within a scene.

Third, WB. If you're shooting in raw then adjusting the WB on the phone/camera screen in post shouldn't be a big deal. Of course this is my personal opinion. I've done this shot exactly once, which was enough to get it out of my system. :)

Pleasing light quality and light from a direction, or directions, that fosters a sense of depth.

Thanks for your feedback! :)

This makes it sound like you are in favor of a little bit more depth of field?

Also I'm guessing you would be in favor of white balancing both the screen and the ambient separately? Like I didn't do in #5

First, I think it's important to see what is being photographed. Having it so wildly out of focus that we don't have a clue what's there (other than assuming the phone is taking a picture) doesn't really work for me. Having a scene where the ambient exposure and the screen exposure fit within your cameras dynamic range helps too.

Second, the overall scene should be well composed, as well as the image on the screen of the phone being well (or at least acceptably) composed. To me this is no different than using a mirror or window to compose a scene within a scene.

Third, WB. If you're shooting in raw then adjusting the WB on the phone/camera screen in post shouldn't be a big deal. Of course this is my personal opinion. I've done this shot exactly once, which was enough to get it out of my system. :)

Point noted about the degree of being out of focus.

As for composing photos with mirrors, I've also tried producing a multigraph self portrait. My best effort so far is here. I'm not tremendously pleased with that attempt. I'll be trying again soon with better control of the light :)

Do you have any suggestions on techniques to develop better composition? I have a basic understanding of leading lines, focus and depth of field and a reasonable understanding what makes a good composition. But producing this in camera is very hit and miss for me (mostly miss).

I'm currently doing a 52 week project to produce a picture under unfamiliar conditions and receive critique each week.

I did shoot these in raw, so I'll try an edit correcting the screen/ambient white balance independently later :)

I'm currently doing a 52 week project to produce a picture under unfamiliar conditions and receive critique each week.

I did shoot these in raw, so I'll try an edit correcting the screen/ambient white balance independently later :)

Can't wait to see it!! did it start with the new year?

Can't wait to see it!! did it start with the new year?

Yes. So far, mostly misses but I'm shooting. You can check it out on my flickr stream.

Pleasing light quality and light from a direction, or directions, that fosters a sense of depth.

This makes it sound like you are in favor of a little bit more depth of field?

Also I'm guessing you would be in favor of white balancing both the screen and the ambient separately? Like I didn't do in #5

Point noted about the degree of being out of focus.

As for composing photos with mirrors, I've also tried producing a multigraph self portrait. My best effort so far is here. I'm not tremendously pleased with that attempt. I'll be trying again soon with better control of the light :)
I was more thinking along the lines of photographing a mirror in a scene that itself contains a scene. This is common in wedding photography where the photographer may not be able to stand where he needs to be for the shot, so he frames the shot in the mirror instead. This creates two separate scenes, the "still life" of the mirror and desk, then the scene of the person getting ready/having hair done/etc. Something like this for example. Pirate Eyes | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Do you have any suggestions on techniques to develop better composition? I have a basic understanding of leading lines, focus and depth of field and a reasonable understanding what makes a good composition. But producing this in camera is very hit and miss for me (mostly miss).
Stop walking around with a camera taking pictures, instead focus on making images. ;) Personally, instead of walking around with a camera hoping to find something to photograph, I prefer to wait until I have a solid idea in mind before I get my camera.

Spend more time looking at art and analyzing images. Spend time looking at great images and trying to figure out why they work. Minimalist images are great for this as they tend to rely on composition alone rather than amazing subjects.

Pick up some books on art and art composition. They don't have to be photography related, and may be better if they aren't. Of course there are the old standbys such as "The Photograph" by Harold Mante and "The Photographers Eye" by Micheal Freeman.

I'm currently doing a 52 week project to produce a picture under unfamiliar conditions and receive critique each week............
I've never done a 365 or 52, but all the ones I've seen tended to devolve into pictures of "hey, look at my desk", "Hey, look at my lunch", "hey, look at xyz that I just bought", before they stop all together. Hopefully you'll have better luck. ;)

looks like you got bored. But hey, have fun.

Most reactions

Back