What Makes a Camera "Pro"?

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So at work today, I was taking to a guy who uses a d700 and told him that I plan on getting the d300s soon. He told me that he would never own that camera and that it's not a pro camera? I chose not to go fx for a few reasons, but I guess I want to know what makes a camera "pro"?

To me, its the photographer that defines the camera.

You know, some of the best and most iconic photography was created with some pretty modest gear.

I agree with you.

The speed at which it sucks money from your bank account.

i figured, i have never really gone above ISO800 with my camera now and thats with a kit lens. if i got the d300s with some nice lenses, i dont really see any huge difference in the d300s and the d700. i think it would suit me well and for a while. i like the dual card slots and if i get fx lenses for it now, i could keep them if i decide to move up to a full frame in the future

Real pros shoot Hasselblads (and nickname them 'hassy')

Im assuming what society means about a pro camera has a lot to do about the sensor and how many MPs it is all the technical jargon but I also agree with you it's the eyes behind the camera that makes the photograher who he or she is don't get me wrong the camera plays a major part but it's the knowledge and the creativity of the person behind the camera that makes them who they are which is reflected in their work. Sorry for the long post:)

i wish i could go medium format haha. i would kill for a digital MF camera :drool:

a-because it would mean i was rich or had an awesome job. b-i would be able to shoot billboards hahaha

i just really like them lol. but i think a d300s with a couple nice lenses will suit me just perfect for a while.

was reading a photo magazine today and a married couple and Professional wedding photographers in england * the Yerburys* use a d700 and a d300, and the d300's images were imo just as awesome as the d700

the magazine was WHAT DIGITAL CAMERA

the only time i can see the d700 coming out on top is in low light. but even then, the d300s isnt a bad camera at all. is it not a pro camera because its dx? i dont get it lol

oh and look at my post count mwahahah:fangs:

There are no "pro" cameras, only "pro" photographers. Some with better tools than others.

So at work today, I was taking to a guy who uses a d700 and told him that I plan on getting the d300s soon. He told me that he would never own that camera and that it's not a pro camera? I chose not to go fx for a few reasons, but I guess I want to know what makes a camera "pro"?

To me, its the photographer that defines the camera.

A "pro" camera has state of the art features and build quality that is top-shelf. The distinction is not really super-critical for most users. One of the biggest differences between "pro" cameras and serious amateur oriented models is the speed that the pro models operate at; the shutter lag time and the mirror blackout times and the total latency time on the pro bodies is the best the manufacturers can make; the overall impression of a "pro" d-slr is in a word, that of "speed". if you have used a single-digit Canon or Nikon body, the difference between those and the mid-level and lower-level bodies is pretty notable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back