What Makes a Camera "Pro"?

"Pro" camera is any camera that allows a professional to get the job done.

The term "Professional" to identify products is an oxymoronic marketing term. The only other marketing term even more idiotic is "Prosumer". Kinda like the "Certified Preowned vehicle".

I think the manufacture decides what level a camera is at.

Pro- D3s D3 D3x
Semi Pro- D700
Prosumer - D300s
Consumer- D90
Entry- D3000 D5000

Not to sure about canon though. lol

The term "Professional" to identify products is an oxymoronic marketing term. The only other marketing term even more idiotic is "Prosumer". Kinda like the "Certified Preowned vehicle".

Pro- D3s D3 D3x
Semi Pro- D700
Prosumer - D300s
Consumer- D90
Entry- D3000 D5000

Nikon/canon marketing use those terms to classify the camera bodies they sell; however nothing stops a "Professional photographer" from using a D90 for pro work.
Juza Nature Photography

350D - entry level and outdate camera body by todays standards and yet pro grade work being produced.

It's really only forum people that really get in a fit about "pro" and the word should be banned from forums ;) A professional photographer is just a person who makes money by using a camera as the main part of their profession. Thus any tools/gear they use is by default professional grade - but that photographers grading. Different situations, requirements and output demands will determin what gear the professional needs in order to achive the end result.
Further in all these aspects there will be a range of products that can do the job from low to high budget. Again only forum surfers tend to get in a fit if the pro is not using the most highly priced options for their work. Though often there are oddities - such as many saying a 5DM2 should be the minimum for a wedding photographer - but they dare not suggest that the best tool is infact a Hassy (mostly because theperson giving the view dosn't own a hassy ;) )

In the end you have to decide for yourself based on your needs, what kind of output you are expected to produce, the level of quality you feel is nessessary and also the budget that you have to work with. For example a rebel camera body can be used (and has been) to shot a wedding and the results can be very good - however offer that person a 7D or even a 5DM2 and the advantages of those bodies would allow far more technically superior shots as well as expand the conditions that the photographer is able to shoot in.

Finally never get into the mindset that 1.6 crop camera bodies are "lesser". They are a different crop factor to fullframe and the only real area they are "lesser" in is that they don't do super high ISOs as well as the fullframe sensors. There are many pros working with crop sensor camera bodies (mostly 1DM2/3/4 or 7D) such as sports, wildlife, reporter etc....

Pro- D3s D3 D3x
Semi Pro- D700
Prosumer - D300s
Consumer- D90
Entry- D3000 D5000

Nikon doesn't use any of those designations on their web site. Digital SLR Cameras from Nikon

Also notice they still show the D40 in their lineup, not that it has been discontinued.

For most, Nikon's numbering system identifies 3 distinct levels.

1. Entry-level - any Dxx and a letter, or the new Dxxxx designation (all have 1/4000 shutters)
  2. Prosumer - any Dxxx and a letter. (all have 1/8000 shutters)
  3. Professional - Any Dx and 1 or 2 letters. (all have built-in vertical grips and 1/8000 shutters)
To answer the OP's question: The wetware that trips the shutter, is what makes a camera "Pro".

what makes a camera "pro"?

To me, its the photographer that defines the camera.

Yup Yup... IMO its the person behind the camera, not the camera in front of the person.

I've seen some pretty nice photo's come out of a little P&S or even a disposable... and I've seen some real crap come from the best cameras out there...

I'm hoping that someday I can make great images with my 50D... For now I'll keep practicing and be happy with the just OK to good photos.

Time will tell.

the 50d is a nice camera. we have one at work and its the first canon i have ever considered buying lol. Like i said, i will have to see how much things are gonna cost me lol.

i am using a d40 now and only have the 55-200mm lens which i hate so i dont use haha. I havent invested in any nice glass yet because i want to make sure it will work on whatever body i get next.

the 50d is a nice camera.

Oh I agree with that... But I am still learning and practicing and learning.... lol

i am using a d40 now and only have the 55-200mm lens which i hate so i dont use haha. I havent invested in any nice glass yet because i want to make sure it will work on whatever body i get next.

That is a good plan. No point spending money on glass if your just going to change cameras later.

I've been using Canon since the days of the original 35mm Canon Rebel. I;ve upgraded a few times since then... But I think I'll be sticking with Canon... Unless something big happens to change my opinion. :)

Tyler,
It's interesting that you should be asking about what make a camera "pro", and then this column from Mike Johnston is published today. You really ought to read this column.

The Online Photographer: Letter to George

:lol: That article was so perfect, LOL!

I actually found it comforting- to know that I'm not the only crazy person in the world drawn to the D700 and above after only having my D5000 a few months now:blushing:

My goal as far as camera gear, would be a D700 (or D3s hahaha)_ with my current 50mm, and either the 17-50mm 2.8, or the 24-70mm 2.8. I don't do a lot of zooming, and prefer to be more on my feet at events, so I *think* with this set up I'd be good for a while.

Or according to this article maybe I'm in denial :lmao:

Tyler,
It's interesting that you should be asking about what make a camera "pro", and then this column from Mike Johnston is published today. You really ought to read this column.

The Online Photographer: Letter to George

I would somewhat disagree with that advice for a new person in some ways - but it depends how "quick" they want to get into the "pro" market area.

Myself I would certaily say that whilst working with Pro end tools certainly gives one more to grow into (which is always a very good thing) its hard to justify such a large expense when getting into a new area. Thus I would say an entry level body and kit lens is a roughly better approach to learn with - if things don't shape up you've not lost an awefull lot of money.
However that assumes one who is going to take time in entering the pro area by first scoping things out (without having acces to rental/friends camera gear).

For those looking to make a far faster track into the pro market it is certaily advice that stands up - provided that said beginner gets off well and can work with the tools that they have just bought - and is preperared to learn

Ps I started at step 6 and skipped it to steps 13 and 16 ;)
Also 70-200mm zooms are NOT HEAVY!

i think georges little voice is in the same family as me haha.

So here's my predicament

nikon d300s- $1,149

nikon d700- $1,999

i want to put a grip on either one, which i believe is the same model. and then theres the lens/lenses

i think georges little voice is in the same family as me haha.

So here's my predicament

nikon d300s- $1,149

nikon d700- $1,999

i want to put a grip on either one, which i believe is the same model. and then theres the lens/lenses

If you don't mind me asking what do you do to get discounts like that?!

Don't laugh.

My Kodak Brownie is a pro camera. I sold prints shot from this camera.

True, I did not claim it as an expense on my tax returns. It would be hard since I didn't pay for it. I got it from my older brother when he got, I guess, an Instamatic. Lol.

A pro camera is one that makes you money. Period.

Which camera you get should not have anything to do with pro or not pro. That is BS. It should have to do with what you want to shoot.

If you don't mind me asking what do you do to get discounts like that?!

i wouldnt want to get fired for saying employee pricing lol.

i am not basing what camera i get off the pro or not thing, i was just wondering if the guy i work with had any point in what he was saying lol.

i just dont want to have that voice saying "you could have gone fx" lol

i think it would be a better idea to go with the d300s and get 1 or 2 really nice lenses. arghhh this is hard lol

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back