What makes a good photo?

samquine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought this would be a good idea.

What makes a good photo?

Could you pro's explain what to do to get a half decent photo. Tell us what we have to do to get a good photo. About the right lighting. When to use flash and when not to. Just things that are useful.

I thought this would be a good idea.

What makes a good photo?

Could you pro's explain what to do to get a half decent photo. Tell us what we have to do to get a good photo. About the right lighting. When to use flash and when not to. Just things that are useful.

Depends on what your shooting. But a general rule is, is that a great photo makes an emotional connection with its viewer. Sports photos its all about stopping the action, so a high shutter speed is necessary. A portrait shot should just be framed well, with good lighting (or not if thats the goal). Landscape shots should have a nice wide aperture for a good depth of field. I could go on and on, but remember, a good photo, a really good photo makes a connection with your viewer.

Thats my 2 cents

1. First, you want to look at a lot of photography. See which categories of photos appeal to you. Next, see which ones in that category you like better than the others.

2. Next, get out and start shooting. Try to emulate what you've seen that you like. You'll have problems, but then you can post pictures here and get feedback, and also get specific answers to your questions.

A good place to start looking at photos is the PhotoEye.com Photographer's Showcase. Many fine photographers there; just click on the thumbnails that appeal to you, and you'll go to that photographer's portfolio. Enjoy! And hope to see you back here with your photos soon.

photo-eye | Gallery

It's just got to be interesting. If it's not interesting, then what's the point?

True. But if its interesting and its got to much lighting would that make it a good picture?

True. But if its interesting and its got to much lighting would that make it a good picture?

hey you never know, accidents sometimes make great photos. But definitely it has to be interesting, and also what Dan said about the connection. I think that is important. But not only to the viewer but with the person who took the picture. Like a story behind the pic. You dont NEED that for it to be a good photo, and it is going beyond the actual picture itself, but I always enjoy a story that goes along with a pic.

Have a look at onexposure (Onexposure - 1x.com - In pursuit of the sublime)

The stuff posted there looks really incredible to me; Of course, everyone will like something different but this my personal source of inspiration.

But, are the photos there good? I guess it depends on the context: good from a formal art standpoint? as measured by popularity?

It's a very complicated question because art is somewhat subjective:
for example, if you look at Michelangelo's work, I personally think that he definitely was a master at what he was doing, but I don't enjoy it: it does nothing for me.
Art can be rated through various metrics that are not necessarily compatible or complementary; it depends what you are looking for.
I would venture to say that there are recipes that are known to work in painting, in music, etc (and may apply to photography), but does that make the work good or just popular?

Only in some circumstances, you find art that most people acknowledge (for their own different reasons) as great and this is possibly because it rates good in most common metrics; but if I knew how to do something that has it all, I'd be counting my diamond rings instead of posting on the web :)

Okay, I'm not a professional photographer (it's only a hobby for me) but I'll give this a shot.
Could you pro's explain what to do to get a half decent photo.
What to do? Well, you can't just point and click and expect to get a good photo. There are many things that lead up to taking a good photo. You should have a good understanding of your camera and how to use it. You should have a good understanding of exposure. You should have a good understanding of light and how it affects your subject and space around it. You should have a good understanding of composition.

Get to know your camera. Read the manual (obviously), get comfortable with the feel of your camera in your hands. Get to know all the controls and what they do. Know how to properly hold you camera (very important).

Learn about exposure. Know what the Exposure Triangle is and how each each element interacts and depends on the other in order to get a properly exposed shot. Know what aperture is and how it affects your pictures. Know what shutter speed is and how it affects your pictures. Know what ISO is and how it affects your picture.

Pay attention to the light. What kind of light are you working with? Which direction is it coming from? Is it hard light or is it soft light? Is the light warm or is it cool? Is there enough light or do you need to supplement it? Is your subject lit properly with what's available or do you need light modifiers to help light your subject properly?

Know the rules of composition. "Dead center is deadly". There are many different ways to compose your image. Some work, some won't. Will the Rule Of Thirds work for this shot? Can you use leading lines? Are you close enough? Should you get closer? Should get farther? Does the scene look balanced in your view finder? Is your horizon straight? Should you use a lower viewpoint? Should you use a higher viewpoint? Can you use diagonals in your image? Is there anything in the background that would be distracting in your image? Is the image simple? Is it too busy? Does the subject matter interest you? Does it tell a story? Does it catch your eye?

Most importantly...get out and shoot. Shoot a lot. Becoming a good photographer takes time and practice...lots of practice. "Your first 10,000 shots will be your worst."

Most reactions

Back